1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten football alignment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kinnick Division

Grange Division

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, Purdue and Iowa in a "rivalry" game? C'mon.

Also don't understand why they don't switch Wisconsin and Northwestern in their two new divisions. I don't think that would affect competitive balance much, and it would keep Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota in the same division.

Otherwise, I think the new divisions are pretty balanced.

3. Armchair_QB

As an Iowa fan I'd rather play Purdue every year than Indiana even though IU is usually worse than Purdue. Even though they aren't from border states, iowa and Purdue don't like each other much.

For older folks like my dad I it stems from the fact Purdue beat Iowa 20 years in a row from the early 60s to the early 80s. Fans old enough to remember that want to kick Purdue's ass every year and for some reason that has rubbed off on younger fans as well.

Purdue hates Iowa because once Iowa snapped that streak in 1981 they beat Purdue fairly regularly for the rest of Hayden Fry's tenure in Iowa City. Not sure what the series record is since Kirk Ferentz was hired at Iowa but I think it's fairly even.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bill Lynch Division
    Tim Brewster Division

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If they name a division after anyone it would have to be Paterno right?

Or Gerald Ford. I mean the guy was the freakin' President.

6. Armchair_QB

I think Iowa and Nebraska should play for the right to claim Council Bluffs. If you lose, it's yours for a year.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No. Most of his notable work did not come in the Big Ten era.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

You reap what you sew. This is what happens when you expand a conference. SEC only 12-team league that did it right and it did it first. NOBODY will be happy about the divisions because SOMEBODY gets screwed (they think).

Big Ten also has to consider this now: In current format, Big Ten quite often got a second team in the BCS. Particularly with the championship game, chances are pretty good that game will match (at least) one-loss teams. The winner might wind up in national title game or Rose Bowl. The loser, maybe not as a BCS at-large.

Maybe it doens't matter. Big Ten is printin' money anyway.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's why I said "mmmm" as in "really?" "That's what you want us to think?"

I would have not minded switching Wisky and Northwestern, but I want Iowa to kick the shit out of Northwestern for the past two years of frustration.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm sure Nebraska feels swell about leaving a conference that revolves around 1 team to go to a conference where everything revolves around 2 teams.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The one thing the Big Ten divisional alignment does avoid are those silly schedules Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, etc., would occasionally get where they wouldn't play Michigan or Ohio State.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan at home in 2011 -- Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State....

Draft saved Draft deleted