1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten football alignment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Big Ten is on crack. I'd have gone with a northern-southern alignment

North -- Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State
    South -- Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Penn State

Splitting up Illinois-Northwestern and Wisconsin-Minnesota is stupid.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Since Purdue leads the series 69-36-6 I'd struggle to call it a rivalry. But it would make sense that there is bad blood present.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Ask the ACC how well gerrymandering divisions works.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's an intra-state matchup. It means a ton to both sets of fanbases. And it goes beyond just football.

Of course it's a rivalry.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They still don't. Sparty doesn't really have a legitimate "rival" in the league. They like to think they're a huge rival for Michigan but in real life U-M regards them as about their fourth/fifth most important game -- light years behind OSU, far behind ND, and depending who's good (or off the schedule) in any given season, behind PSU/Wisconsin/Iowa, too.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Agreed that the Big Ten is on crack.

If they had any brains, it would be:

East: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue.
    West: Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska.

All the traditional rivalries are intact. And, travel costs for the Olympic (OK, nonrevenue) sports would be reduced. How much is it going to cost for a Michigan-Nebraska (fill in the sport) contest that few people give a crap about?

Those who say it's better to keep Michigan and Ohio State in different divisions based on football are assuming that Michigan will conquer Nebraska every year. Regardless of DickRod is the coach or not, it ain't happening.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think Illinois and Northwestern really consider themselves rivals. Or at least the fans don't.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Disagree. They've ended the regular football season up against one another
    an inordinate number of times . . . and it's no accident this year's
    Wrigley Field matchup will feature the pair.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Way unbalanced. East is far too strong.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. I hate when conference try to peer into cloudy crystall balls and play god. But, that's exactly what the Big Ten likes to do.

WolvEagle for Big Ten Commissioner. of course, he's obviously too smart for the job.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I thought they were only using the divisions for football. Don't really need them in basketball, do you? I wouldn't mind it if it meant guaranteeing that Purdue and IU play each other twice a year, every year, again.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Disagree Starman, MSU is No.2 because you can respect losing to Notre Dame in football because when you lose to them you don't hear about it for the next decade. A SportsJournalists.commer once blogged the truest line about Spartan football as it relates to Michigan: "No team gets more mileage out of one win per decade than the Spartans."

Draft saved Draft deleted