1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten floats the idea of freshman ineligibility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What I meant by bluff was that they could talk about it without any real intention of doing it, but perhaps it would inspire the NBA to make it 20 and two years out of high school or something more like baseball. I just can't imagine this is something they are seriously considering other than to grandstand about how they are trying to fix things. You think Meyer and Harbaugh are going to let this happen?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So they will just be happy practicing for a year and then go to the NBA?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes.

And that's one of the reasons this won't happen -- schools know they will end up housing players (and risking NCAA violations) for someone who will never contribute.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If they REALLY wanted to help the "student-athletes," they would provide better assurances that the four-year scholarship will be there if the player is injured or deemed "not good enough" to play by coaches.

Or how about allowing athletes to opt-out when the coach they signed for splits shortly afterward.

If these conferences and coaches really care about their players, those would be a couple places to start.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Tha's exactly what I think it is. Source of the conflict is that college basketball wants the NBA to change the damn one and done rule, but the NBA won't budge on it.

And, since college hoops has no real leverage against the NBA, best it can do is float these occasional bluffs basically saying "oh yeah, well what if we just stop giving the free marketing/promotion for your one year wonders?" Somehow I doubt the threat has the NBA quaking. Everyone knows it won't happen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. Jake_Taylor

If colleges did this couldn't somebody with money just create a minor pro league for kids younger than 20. Have 10 or so teams and pay 50-100 grand and you could sign not only the kids that would be college freshman, but the top high school prospects as well. Big basketball fans would pay attention to a league with Wiggins, Parker, Okafor, Thon Maker, etc. (some of them for multiple years) as prospects getting ready for the NBA.

7. Jake_Taylor

I get the feeling the NCAA is trying to get Adam Silver's office to push a new rule through, which is going about it ass backwards. It needs to get to the veterans in the NBA Players Association. "Hey Drew Gooden, do you like having that last roster spot on the Wizards or would you rather it go to a teenager who may or may not ever contribute in the NBA? Help us keep those kids in school and yourself in the league for an extra year or two."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree, but the union is also pushing back at the age limit because, while it would allow veterans one extra year at the end of the bench, it would cost the rookie a year's pay at the beginning of their career.

9. Jake_Taylor

True, but I think you have a better shot at persuading people who are actually already in the union to be self serving ahead of what might be good for incoming rookies who have literally never paid their dues than convincing the commissioner he should wait an extra year or two before bringing in his next generation of stars.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New union director is not in a giving mood.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree with LTL that Europe/overseas is not going to be a popular option and I don't ever see a top prospect going to the NBDL. There's a reason why Jennings and Tyler and Mudiay are the only top prospects to do this. Going and playing in the Congo, as Mudiay currently is, is pretty brutal for an 18-year-old.

I think if they ever were stupid enough to do this, we would see players go to colleges, practice for a year and then bolt for the NBA without ever playing a college game. That would be idiotic.

12. Jake_Taylor

What I do wonder a little is why more players, both guys who could be in college and older guys who aren't quite good enough for the NBA, don't go play in Australia. Same language, gorgeous beaches and women and I think the league is decent compared to a lot of other countries. Seems like there would be worse ways to spend a year or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted