1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Delany's statement, boiled down: No decision now, we will study the issue over 12-18 months.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Yeah, I agree with you. The only other conference I could see BYU joining is the Big XII, and that would be a long shot.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

But they would only need one Utah school to get the SLC TV market and then Colorado would give them Denver (#16). It would suck travel wise, but TV ratings would increase and they would be able to expand their recruiting footprint. (Not that its ever been a problem for SC, but I think they are an exception.)

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because they beat Oklahoma in a bowl game?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hey Big Ten, you know you want it, bitch!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

To add a 12th member, not duplicate coverage in the state of Utah, and not add an explicitly-religiously-oriented institution. No other reason.

On the research-institution issue: there are no other AAU member institutions in the regional area which would be even remote candidates. Three of the current Pac-10 members (ASU, OSU and WSU) are not AAU members.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Boise State to the Mountain West seems so damn logical.

Pac 10? Utah and UNLV, even though the Rebs' add nothing as a football program and live in the past with basketball. The market wouldn't hurt though.

Big Ten? I'd prefer Mizzou. Arkansas can join its traditional SWC brethren in the Big 12 and the SEC can poach Florida State, Miami, etc.

This all depends on Indiana State not being invited to the Big Ten of course. ;D

8. mb

mb Active Member

I don't think anyone is *advocating* Boise to the Pac-10. It's just that there aren't a hell of a lot of Pac 10-area schools from which to choose.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Weak. Do not understand the "duplicate coverage" argument. Schools are not football coaches -- adding one school in Utah and one school in Idaho for the sake of not adding two schools in Utah does not benefit the Pac-10 in any way.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hardly. Outside of football and men's basketball, Northwestern has a fine athletic program.

11. mb

mb Active Member

The argument would be that you're getting two different TV markets.

/not that the Boise market is worth anything, admittedly

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Mizzou says it's willing to listen to the Big 11: http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1632957.html

Draft saved Draft deleted