1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It doesn't. Point is, Boise is a stupid, stupid, stupid addition from the Pac-10's perspective. There is no good reason to let them join, no matter who else you might get as the 12th.

If the Pac-10 ever wants 12, it's going to have to find a way to add the two Utah schools or the two Colorado schools.

EDIT: Or find two Cal State programs worthy of moving up. Which will never happen.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

BYU, Utah, Boise State, TCU need to find their way into major conferences.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only problem with that is, who do you plug into the North? Tech & OSU make the most sense but I don't think either school would go for that.

My guess is that TCU would have to play in the North as a condition of admission. Since it's in the Metroplex there are direct air connections to KC, Omaha, Des Moines, St. Louis & Denver from there.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think Utah and BYU are the only MWC schools that could make the jump to the Pac-10 or Big 12.

Boise State isn't a good fit anywhere. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to join a real conference.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would argue that Rutgers also makes sense, given the school's history. It would be ok in football, eh in basketball and is a good research institution.

IF the Pac-10 were to go to 12, what about BYU and Colorado? The Mormons and Utah would basically overlap, so that would be a non-starter, no?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is this it?

http://www.bigten.org/genrel/121509aaa.html

7. Mizzougrad96

I would think BYU and Utah would be a pair. That would be the obvious addition to the Pac-10 if they expand.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This could very easily set off the same kind of domino effect Penn State caused when it joined the league.

If Missouri goes to the Big 10, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could see...

Arkansas to the Big 12

Clemson or FSU to the SEC

Cuse or Pitt to the ACC

Memphis to the Big East

Temple to CUSA

9. Mizzougrad96

No conference has schools better paired off than the Pac-10. All five pairs are big rivals, that's why Utah and BYU would fit so perfectly.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If the Big 12 lost ISU or Mizzou it could pick up TCU or Utah and go to East-West divisions.

Big 12 East - Kansas, ISU/Mizzou, Nebraska, Baylor, A&M, OSU.
    Big 12 West - Colorado, Texas Tech, OU, Utah/TCU, Texas, K-State.

Each team would have one cross-division rival game that is played every year so the OU-OSU, KU-K-State, Texas-A&M, Nebraska-Colorado rivalries aren't hurt.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the Big Ten went to 12 and a division title game, I would expect the Pac-10 to follow suit quickly, most likely adding Utah and BYU (with Boise a wild-card possibility).

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Probability of BYU joining Pac-10 is zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted