1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I think it is more about getting the Big Ten Network in the NYC area than the team/school. Big Ten's theory is get Rutgers, get the network in the east.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's the end of the fucking argument already. The Big 12 will NEVER make it worth Arkansas' while to leave.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would say the PSU fan base extends up into New York State, Connecticut and parts of New England. But you're right in that its about getting the B-10 network on in New Yawk.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's what it's ALL about.

And Rutgers football will become a much bigger deal if they're bringing Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan to town on a regular basis.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

But the Big Ten Network could be on cable now in Manhattan. There is as much of a diehard Penn State fanbase in the area as there is a diehard Rutgers fanbase.

And just because Rutgers is in the Big Ten, that doesn't mean BTN is going to get Time Warner to pay $1 per subscriber to get it plopped on the Queens cable system. That's what some people seem to think will happen. It ain't happening.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The other Big Ten schools, particularly Michigan and Ohio State, have huge alumni bases in the NYC area too.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

WFW.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Big Ten Network IS on my cable system. But I don't think BC is joining the conference. I repeat my belief, which could be completely wrong, that these expansion schemes will collapse of their own weight as everyone involved looks at how unwieldy the new leagues would be.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Big 10 will expand. The only question is how many teams it adds.

My guess is that they only add one and that it is either ND or Missouri.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I just wish they'd go ahead and pull the freaking trigger so I don't have to keep hearing about what might happen and how it's going to change the landscape etc. I'm tired of reading the same story over and over.

Just damned do something already!

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

ACC signs on with ESPN for 12 years and 1.86 billion

Draft saved Draft deleted