1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN said the Pac-10 had a few options it was exploring, with Colorado, Utah, Texas and A&M on its wishlist. I could see that happening, but what would be funny is if the Big 12 was dismantled with Missouri and Nebraska going to the Big 10 and Colorado, Texas and A&M going to the Pac-10 that Kansas and Oklahoma seem to be ignored in all the expansion talk.

Then maybe the remaining Big 12 teams can take Arkansas, TCU, maybe BYU and another Texas school or two... I don't see the SEC expanding to the west. Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU, Miami even Virginia Tech would make much more sense than Texas and OU.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is a better chance I'll be the next Pope than there is Arkansas will leave the SEC. It's just not going to happen.

I don't know why people keep floating them as an option for the Big 12.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Me neither.

Nebraska wouldn't be admitted to the Big Ten unless it seriously toughens up its academic standards. Big Ten presidents have always prided themselves on being major academic and research centers. Missouri might be a little more palatable. Geographically, Iowa State actually makes the most sense, but I don't see them as the front-runners.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What I don't get about the big brains at the Big Ten is this.

Just because Big Ten Network gets exposure to a region doesn't necessarily mean people are going to watch it. Hell, other than diehards, no one really watches it much in the heart of Big Ten country, unless their team's game is on.

At least in the Big Ten portion of the Midwest, fans are predisposed to the conference. Say the Big Ten adds Rutgers and even Maryland, where there is no brand loyalty to the Big Ten in either area. What good does it do to be exposed to a market that doesn't give a shit about your network and conference beyond its own school?

I think the Big Ten is over-thinking itself.

5. mb

mb Active Member

I don't think they care if anybody watches it. It's all about being able to say "you need this channel" to the cable companies that don't currently carry it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What MB said. The Big 10 gets a per-subscriber cut from every cable company whether people watch the channel or not.

EDIT: The way I understand it, if the cable company is in the Big 10 footprint the conference gets .70 cents per subscriber. If the company isn't in a Big 10 state they only get .10 cents per subscriber. Adding Rutgers puts NYC in the Big 10 footprint.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nebraska certainly measures up to the academic bottom rung of the Big Ten: Indiana, OSU, Minnesota and Michigan State. Missouri is probably considerably better. The Big Ten really can't get all that snooty about academics.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who defines the footprint though? Couldn't a cable company easily say that just because the Big Ten has Rutgers, it doesn't mean its a viable "footprint" in New Jersey, much less New York City, if no one gives a shit about the Big Ten there in general.

It's akin to saying the ACC footprint covers Massachusetts just because Boston College is an outlier member of the conference, it doesn't hold water.

At least in Missouri and Nebraska, there's a sort of contiguous connection to the rest of the Big Ten. Not so on the East Coast which is why I think the Big Ten is over-thinking this.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, New Jersey is contiguous to Pennsylvania, which has been a Big Ten member state for 18-19 years now.

If Rutgers and the BTN can demonstrate measurable (it really doesn't have to be very substantial) viewer interest in conference programming in NJ and NY, they start collecting that .70 per subscriber. That will be a shitload of money.

That's why Rutgers is a hot prospect (IMO, probably THE hot prospect) in the Big Ten's big picture.

10. Rutgers is in play to lure ND. The Big Ten gets Rutgers and it has the door open to say to the Irish, "Look, we are in New York/New Jersey, all around the Midwest now and the Big East is about to be dissolved. Your only option is to join us."
    Rutgers appeals to the Big Ten presidents for its academics but don't be fooled. This is all about the money on the table and academics are not the concern of the Big Ten commish in this deal.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

According to the latest US News & World Report Rankings:
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

12. Northwestern (87)
    20. Notre Dame (78) -- NOTE: Not a member of the Association of American Universities
    27. Michigan (71)
    39. Illinois, Wisconsin (61)
    47. Penn State (57)
    53. Ohio State (53)
    61. Purdue, Minnesota (50)
    66. Rutgers (49)
    71. Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa (46)
    96. Nebraska (41)
    102. Missouri (40)

Draft saved Draft deleted