1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Or Clemson. The SEC is already in all those markets. It would probably just be a simple matter of wanting to answer the Big Ten. You don't want to let one conference become too powerful and too big. But undoubtedly the first calls will be to Texas and its Big 12 travel partners.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The SEC already has 12 or 14 teams. First on their list is going to be Texas, and by extension, A&M. Then Oklahoma and Okie State. The Pac 10 may try too, but the SEC appears set to offer more, even with the rumored Pac 10 network. Not sure the SEC is going to overlap markets just to have numbers.

3. I don't think this can happen but Texas/A&M and Florida State/Miami to the SEC? That conference sked would be impossible. And a two-loss team from the SEC would still deserve a nc shot.
    On the other hand, it would mean almost a non-existent non-con sked for the SEC (like there is one now).
    I don't think the SEC has to do anything but only to make a statement to the other BCS conferences.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Adding FSU and Miami to the SEC would have been hot stuff 20 years ago. Now, not so much. Miami football may be on the rise again, but it's essentially a studio sport thanks to lukewarm fan support (that becomes nonexistant for other sports.) Florida State had some gaping sections of open stadium during Saint Bobby's farewell tour and has nowhere near the statewide interest that UF does.

More and more, I think the SEC is better off staying at 12 unless Texas wants in and brings a buddy from the Big XII.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The focus of expansion is always going to be football, obviously, but an SEC with Florida State, Miami, Texas and Texas A&M would be an incredible baseball conference, too. I'd guess the SEC is already the only conference where baseball is a revenue sport, and adding those schools might as well make the CWS the second edition of the conference tournament.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Maybe just for the sake of booting the ACC out of the Southeast?

I know it's not expanding territory, which is what they all seem to be aiming for, but sharing territory ain't all that fun either: seizing an ironclad monopoly on Florida and Georgia has gotta be worth something.

Plus, it would make for fantastic mega-TV ratings football. Imagine all three Florida powers battling each other in the same conference subdivision. Who wouldn't watch those games?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Doubt USF is invited. And East Carolina has always wanted the ACC more than the other way around ... no way in hell that happens. Let me put it this way ... both Louisville and West Virginia are better academic fits than East Carolina.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Gotta believe Florida would try to prevent the SEC from taking FSU and Miami. At least it should. Why give in-state rivals an entree into your league? Keeping FSU out might be politically tough, but they've got to try. Just look at Virginia. They welcomed Va Tech into the ACC, and the Hokies are killing them in FB and men's BB.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't say welcomed in, exactly. IIRC, there was political pressure in Virginia to have the Hokies come into the ACC.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Then Gov. Mark Warner said if Tech wasn't part of ACC expansion, then the deal wasn't going to happen, since Duke and UNC were already against it for basketball reasons.

11. mb

mb Active Member

The SEC won't do anything unless ESPN offers them one hell of an incentive to.

The SEC's TV deal, signed in 2008, is for 15 years and $2.25 BILLION. At the same time, the conference signed a deal with CBS for 15 years adn $825 million.

That money is now divided 12 ways. You can be damn sure they're not going to divide that money 16 ways. So unless ESPN and CBS have another shitton of money burning a hole in their pockets and are willing to tear that deal up and give the schools an even BETTER deal, the SEC won't do squat.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'd do it to bring in the Texas Twins. The money Texas would bring would make it a big win for the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted