1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't understand why Texas, A&M, Tech, or Baylor would ever agree to allowing TCU in the Big XII. For that matter, I don't understand why OU, OSU, or even the teams in the north would allow TCU in the conference.

As it is, there are no AQC schools in the DFW Metroplex. It's rare that a top notch guy will pick TCU over an offer from a mid to upper level AQC school, even one as successful as TCU.

TCU adds no new television sets to the conference, isn't a national draw, and would increase competition for recruits in the DFW area. I see absolutely no upside for current Big XII members in adding TCU.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One thing people are quick to forget is that every game has a loser as well as a winner. Every league has a doormat as well as a champion. Are the super-conferences the answer? Would you give up status as a contender in one league to be a doormat in another league?

If you are, say, Texas or Oklahoma, do you really want to jump in bed with Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. on a weekly basis? All of a sudden those national championship runs are going to be a lot fewer and further between. If you are TCU, you should think twice before leaving a league that you can actually compete in for one where you will be everyone's homecoming guest.

Maybe the extra money makes it worth it, maybe not. But you better be sure what you're getting into.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Detroit News says Maryland could also be a factor in the new Big Ten or 16 or whatever? Does Debbie Yow want to live in her office under seige the rest of her life?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Arkansas was the first big school in the region that came to mind. The point is the Big 12 needs to aim higher than a quick fix with smaller schools if it wants to keep its prestige and level of competition in football. The Utah schools could work, although I wonder how much of a hassle BYU's scheduling restrictions would cause.

If Colorado bolts to the Pac 10, does Colorado State make for another quick fix? At least you know they care about their football.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe it's because I grew up on ACC sports, but I just *can't* see any ACC team leaving for any other conference. But when it comes down to the $$$ ...

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's a fans' perspective. Fans want championships and banners above all, but the universities and people making the actual decisions generally prefer the money. They know joining a superconference will mean fewer titles and banners to boast about, but they'll make that sacrifice if it means millions more in TV revenue.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I kind of feel like the Big 12 North should all go elsewhere. The South can add Arkansas, TCU, SMU and maybe a couple other schools.

If I'm the Pac-10, I go after BYU before Utah. They should add four and take BYU, Utah, Colorado and Kansas.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Detroit News story is a guy just spewing out of his ass, even more than most of the rest of these stories.
    Utah is a major state school, BYU is a religious school. The Pac-10 has no religious schools in the fold.

If they were to add 4 or 6, I would guess UNLV might be in the mix, simply to add the Las Vegas market. UNLV is very very substandard academically for the Pac-10, but they might bite that bullet to add the TV market.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the core of the ACC -- the North Carolina schools, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, both Virginia schools -- but what about some of the newcomers? It's not like Miami is entrenched in the league, or Boston College. Florida State probably isn't going anywhere, but it would fit in nicely in the SEC and could probably be swayed.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did you also see the headline they put on that story? "BIG TEN EXPANDING TO 16 TEAMS"

Then in the first line, they say, nope, not expanding. Such a fucking joke.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Pretty cool map showing how the differences in how much distance there is from Missouri to each school in the Big 10 and Big 12 already.
    http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/05/12/missouri-move-big-ten-does-not-mean-step-down-athletic-competition/

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

Can someone explain this math to me?
    Missouri and Nebraska joining the Big Ten likely would happen in concert with a break-up of the Big 12. The remaining eight members of the Big 12 could break away to join other conferences in the aftermath under one scenario, with two, or even three, possibly joining the Big Ten.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100512/SPORTS0203/5120363/1004/SPORTS/Big-Ten-seeks-16-team-super-conference#ixzz0nkJzFiwK

12-2=8?

Draft saved Draft deleted