1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's no good way to get to Bloomington from anywhere.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would make it a backup to Pitt. It makes travel worse and no one is clamoring to dominate the media/merchandising possibilities of Syracuse, NY.

3. mb

mb Active Member

But if Boise's not 11, how does the Pac-10 ever approach 12 teams? Way back there was talk about Colorado, but even that longshot would leave you one short.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

Could be worse. You could be in Evansville, where you are close to southern Illinois and northern Kentucky.

<------Asshole.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Those are pretty logical -- better than my quick "pairs."

PSU/Pitt would fit in nicely to that scheduling. I don't see any other school that would add as much as Pitt, or be a better fit (well, other than Notre Dame.) Not Mizzou, not Iowa State, not Syracuse.

Pitt's the best choice.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's no good reason to GO to Bloomington.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe TCU can find its way into the Big 12 if Iowa State is dumped.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Back during the early 90s college football realignment, Utah & BYU were bandied about as the most logical pair to join the Pac-10 given that league's penchant for setting up ideal travel partners.

9. mb

mb Active Member

If you can get the Big 10 and Pac-10 to 12 teams, does that help the playoff push? Could you just take the superconference winners, add 2 wild cards and go?

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

A post by Mike DeArmond on the Star's web site said Mizzou would be damn interested in this.

As for me, I'm not sure. One thing I do like about the Big Televen is that the bowls go to the teams which deserve them. And considering how Mizzou's gotten the shaft in recent years (none bigger than the Orange Bowl snub in 07), why not? I think Mizzou would easily be in the upper half in football. Basketball wise, the Big Televen is better top-to-bottom.

Eh, whatever.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

Back in those days, everyone must loved the Wisky/NW jaunt in basketball. Cool towns, easy wins, head home.

12. mb

mb Active Member

If Iowa State goes to the Big 10, it's because all the presidents got drunk and went home with the fat chick (school).

Draft saved Draft deleted