1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Press release coming out at four about the Big Ten's push for a 12th team.

Radio station rumors say it is going to be Iowa State. Which means, it probably won't be Iowa State.

This could be very interesting.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think it should be the Bears.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aren't they going to take 12 to 15 months, or something like that, to figure it out?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Jay Cutler would still throw 4 interceptions per game.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah... that's what I just read, but the radio station just said it is going to be Iowa State. Iowa State makes no sense. Does not help the Big Ten improve in football, does not expand the footprint, does not help recruiting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Several published reports...radio station. Several published reports...radio station.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WHAT radio station?

Iowa State's absurd. Just absurd.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Assuming the Big 10 can't convince ND to join, Mizzou seems like the most logical choice to me. You add a couple of large media markets, the school is pretty solid in football and basketball, and the culture of the state seems to fit with the rest of the Big 10. How does Mizzou match up academically with the rest of the Big 10? Would Mizzou want to leave the Big XII? Seems like it would hurt them in football, cutting off their connection to Texas recruiting.

What would happen if a team did leave the Big XII North? Would Arkansas be interested in a potential move to the Big XII? Geographically, it would make more sense than the SEC. It would likely open up Texas recruiting in a big way for the school. On the other hand, the Big XII's television deal blows chunks compared to the SEC. Also, I can't imagine the move would particularly help attendance.

Other possibilities would be a team like TCU or Houston, but the facilities are sub standard, they don't bring any new TV markets to the Big XII, and which team would be sent to the North?

Also, as far as the Big 10 goes, I suppose Cincinnati or Rutgers could be possibilities. I have to imagine that Ohio State would be completely against Cinci joining the conference.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would go hard at Pitt. They bring the Pittsburgh area, which is the type of area to like Big Ten football/basketball. The only downside is the travel, but in the non-revenue sports, you can try to schedule Pitt/PSU back to back. And Pitt is a big state research institution, so it fits the B10 profile.

Football divisions
    Big Ten Nagurski Division
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Ohio State
    Pittsburgh
    Purdue

Big Ten Grange Division
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Penn State
    Wisconsin

You play everyone in your division, your non-division "rival" and two non-division teams every year.

Rivalry game:
    Michigan-Ohio State
    Pitt-Penn State
    Wisconsin-Minnesota
    Indiana-Purdue
    Northwestern-Illinois
    Iowa-Michigan State (odd man out)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Iowa State is, indeed, absurd.

That said, "football" and "recruiting" are hardly the only considerations here for the conference. That's a very narrow viewpoint in which to consider any expansion.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Northwestern MUST go with Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota,
    Michigan, and either Purdue or Indiana. Next case.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Why? So Michigan-Wisconsin can decide the division winner?

Draft saved Draft deleted