1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big news in Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Price goes up, outlying areas no longer get delivery.
    Meaning, and just guessing here, if your paper had two editions, such as city and region, the first-run or region edition goes away. One press run for the night, consolidate routes so you no longer need as many circulation managers, and also drop carriers.
    So instead of having split deadlines, you go to one deadline, and probably the same one as the old regional edition. So, in theory, if you got those papers labeled in time, you could get them to a regional sorting center for the post office and you could have mail delivery aka the gold standard of newspaper and one that allows them to shed much of its circulation staff.
    Each paper will probably, assuming they already aren't doing this, do some sort of weekly, total market penetration broadsheet that will go out in the mail.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One would think.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen....

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That should be interesting...
    Since a great deal of sports -- especially in Ann Arbor -- is done with part timers, good luck with high schools...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read this in a start-up paper oin A2, but don't know if its print or online...

Copy editors, page designers and graphic artists – essentially, the production staff – are being told that if they don’t accept a buyout, they’ll have to work from the Grand Rapids Press office. The Press is the largest of the Newhouse papers in Michigan. Advertorial products will be centralized at the Kalamazoo Gazette. Other papers in the group are the Jackson Citizen Patriot, Flint Journal, Bay City Times, Muskegon Chronicle and Saginaw News.

I was under the assumption that the daily stuff would be GR and Kazoo... this is even worse...

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy,

They are crying in their beers at The Arena tonight.
    It was package day ... who can post?

7. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah.. Carty hit it on the head.
    And he's right, he's not going to endear himself to his coworkers.

9. RTJ

RTJ Member

I'm appalled, Jay.

How can you realistically expect to write an interesting game story if you're just interested in filling in the blanks? It's not about the final score, it's about the story inside the game.

Pigeonholing yourself like that cheats your readers and shows laziness.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just got through that. Not much in there that hasn't been stated and restated here over the past year or so.
    Some of the hair-brained things they tried sound a lot like things tried at a paper I'm familiar with ... with similar (lack of) results.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Funny that Carty posted that yesterday. A co-worker heard on NPR, that a blog had written that the Saginaw News, Flint Journal and some other Booth Paper were going to publish only 3 days a week. Of course, I can't find it online.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm a dummy; it's the blog Carty linked to.

http://papertigernomore.blogspot.com/2009/03/dear-newhouse-journalism-not-gimmicks.html

Draft saved Draft deleted