1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big money extension for Arroyo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Seahawk, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy money for a decent pitcher?
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's better than Gil Meche, but last year was as good as it's going to get for Arroyo.
  3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, last year was really freakin' good for Arroyo.

This is the cost of business. Pay mediocre pitchers like Meche $11 million a year and you have to give in to potential one-year wonders like Arroyo before arbitration. Every bad contract has a larger consequence. Maybe GMs will eventually figure it out.
  4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I really wish I had been blessed with a live arm.
  5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I thought this was about Carlos.
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Arroyo was already signed thru his arbitration years. This contract really makes no sense, especially from a so-called small market team with a stud racing thru the system in Homer Bailey.
  7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Geez, he went 240 innings last year. That's Livan territory, and Arroyo is pretty spindly, isn't he?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

He relies more on deception than stuff, so arm wear isn't as much of a concern. I just think he'll struggle to fool people for several more years (and he wasn't that good in the second half last year).
  9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

You're right. I didn't read the story correctly. In that light, this is stupid.
  10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Since he is a Red and he just signed an extension, I put the over-under on the homers he allows next season at 50.
  11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet he doesn't lead the team, even if he hits the over. Unscientifically, I don't think there's a team that has had a worse stretch of moves than the Reds.
  12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think it's a sign that Castellini and Krivsky value starting pitching and that they won't let their good players walk. Last year, in a very mediocre NL pitching pool, Harang and Arroyo were definitely among the top 10 starters in the league. This week, they've signed their top two pitchers to extensions and only had to spend $60 million to do it. It's stupid NOT to do that.

I'm not convinced (as some others are) that Arroyo will plateau or plummet this year. If the offense becomes consistent and the defense improves (which it should with Gonzalez and Phillips up the middle) then Arroyo should win 15 games. Harang could win 18. Considering how weak the NL Central is, these two make the Reds viable contenders. If they get any other decent pitching, then they could win 90 games.

Of course, given the Reds inconsistency, they're also liable to lose 90.
Draft saved Draft deleted