1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Mess In Hartford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kevlar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Kevlar

Kevlar Member

Let me see if I've got this right.

--Tribune names the GM of a local TV station publisher of the Courant in early April.

--Among the many changes taking place under the combined news operation, it appears a 29-year-old woman will have an enhanced role in marketing and public relations, over and above some more experienced that her. Rumors fly.

--Connecticut AG Richard Blumenthal writes Tribune demanding details of the combined operation, questioning if one ownership group will become too powerful. This might hamper Tribune's yearly waiver request to the feds regarding cross-ownership laws.

--Last week, the 29-year-old is arrested twice for DUI in 3 hours overnight by the same cop, such a "news of the weird" type item, that it makes news from Dubai to San Jose.

--Friday it comes out that the GM/Publisher, a married father of two, was in the car with her, bailed her out the first time (her husband bailed her out the second time), and drove her back to her car, whereby she was arrested for her 2nd DUI, driving with a suspended license, and speeding.

--The Courant publishes an article in which the GM/Publisher comes up with a story about "helping her with directions" that strains belief to such a point that it would be borderline hilarious if drunk driving were at all funny.

--The TV station ignores the story (all the other TV stations in the market did the story) until Friday, when it basically reads a statement from the GM/Publisher.

--The 29-year-old continues to work on marketing and P.R. via conference calls as if nothing has happened.

Do I have this right?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jesus. Keep the details coming.
    I'd love to hear some of these "directions."

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Somehow, I think it involves The Old Dirt Road.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good to see her BAC come down .05 in 2:40... .175 -- jeebus

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, I feel bad for her husband and his wife.

However, this is funny as hell in a "what a couple of fucking idiots" kinda way.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Giving her directions, huh?

Reminds me of when I was a pledge in my fraternity way back when. Our pledge class was tasked to do about 100 things one night all around the DC-VA-MD area. One was to get a picture taken with a hooker in DC.

So I'm asking one lovely lady if she minded taking a picture with us when a cop decides to check in. I tell him I was simply asking directions. He was not amused.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Sonner dirt alert! ;)

RB

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're booked for DWI at 1 a.m., how do you get released to *anyone* at 4 a.m.? Sober up in the hole and let someone pick you up during business hours the next day. If someone had been killed during the second DWI, that police dept would be facing all kinds of sh*t.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Typical of many newspaper management types - ignore the in-house story as if nothing is going on.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was surprised by the tight turnaround as well.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That happens all the time, doesn't it? But you're right. That's kinda crazy they release someone just three hours later, which was, more than likely, immediately after booking.

Draft saved Draft deleted