1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Love anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tyler durden 71351, Jul 25, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I'm a little surprised no one posts about this show. I got into it in the past month or so, thanks to OnDemand. Might be the best dramatic show airing new episodes this summer...and I think it's interesting in that it's a show that's so centered around the religious beliefs of its characters. (Although I can see where Mormons might have an issue with it. Not that it's unsympathetic to their faith, it's just that I imagine they get tired of polygamy always coming up.)

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's kinda filled the "Sopranos" gap, but it's been way too erratic for my tastes.

Characters and situations are introduced, things are teetering on the brink of disaster, then next week it's all forgotten and it's on to a brand new crisis. They need the producers to ride better herd on the writers to enforce better continuity.

I watch it off and on -- usually catch an episode during the week. Definitely not up to must-watch status such as "Sopranos" and "Deadwood."

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

wonderfully written and tremendously acted. 8) 8) 8)

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm really mad that I moved to another house and I don't have HBO yet. I've missed the last two weeks. LOVE THIS SHOW

5. Starman

Too many of the characters are one-dimensional. First and foremost, of course, is Nikki (Sevigny) who so far through the entire show has been just a completely irredeemable bitch. Roman is always a scheming weasel and Bill is always an exasperated yet good-hearted guy.

Barb (Trippelhorn) has been a quietly-suffering saint far too often, too. Margene (Goodwin) was a bubble-brained dimwit most of last year, but she's smartening up this season.

6. It's an OK show. Definitely beats the pants off John from Cincinatti.

I wish there were more likeable characters. Margene is cute but, like Starman said, one dimensional and naive. Sevigny is a damned good actress but her role is a bit annoying and predictable.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One of my three favorite shows right now.

The oldest daughter was one of the "Mean Girls."

8. it's been superb this season. no ball-hogging superstar actors. great cast. great show. bridging the gap until Curb and The Wire start again very nicely.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

She's also going to star in the film version of "Mamma Mia!" coming out next summer. Some yo-yo put her on the "celebrities you find hot that no one else finds hot" thread. Yeah, because guys really don't like young blondes with perfect skin..... ::)

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think this is true at all, and if you truly believe this, we're watching a different show. Sevigny's portrayal of Nikki is very nuanced, and artfully done. The fact that she's even likeable at all is a credit to both the writers and Sevingy. I love that she's fiercely loyal to both her families, and sometimes her motives are completely selfish, and other times they show a genuine amount of love and respect for the two women she's married to. The true grace of this show is not that one guy is married to three women, but that three women are married to one another. The episode where Margie really wants Bill to take a fourth wife was one of the best episodes of the entire series. It perfectly captured her character: her vulnerability, her loneliness, her big heart, cleverness and her nativity.

Roman has been both evil and shown moments of tenderness, like when he was holding his 300th grandson in his arms when Bill and Nikki had to stay at the compound a few episodes ago.

Pullman, in my opinion, might be the weakest link on the show. But even he, I think, captures the writer's point. He's conflicted, and his pursuit of Weber Gaming, despite the pleas of his best friend, show he's more than just the exasperated good guy. He also beat the shit out of Albie last episode when he learned Albie had been stalking Sarah. I think he has layers.

Though I'm not religious, I really do like how the show treats religion with such respect. It's really, when you think about it, a show that promotes real family values like trust, honesty, communication and sacrifice. Both seasons have started slow, but they've gotten better and better with each episode. I'm curious to see where it goes.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Love the show, but the continuity was a little better last season. They need to trim some of the excess and do more with less.

This season Rhonda is the main focus for a couple of episodes, and this week she wasn't even mentioned.

Barb was going back to school . . . has she even attended a class yet?

Wayne attends this Catholic school several miles away . . . but how can they possibly get him there every day when there are so many fires to put out at home?

Margene went from cherubic and immature to smoking hot (how does a "pregnant" woman LOSE weight?) and the most wise and grounded person in the show.

Has anyone seen Wendy the bookkeeper since she showed up at Barb's house all bruised from her car wreck? When was the last time Bill was seen in the store he owns?

Bill vowed vengeance on whoever outed them . . . and then it didn't matter anymore. And now that everyone knows Roman did it, it seems everyone EXCEPT Bill has confronted Roman about it (Barb and Nicki did, anyway). He was mad about the billboards . . . then forgot about them.

Where the hell did the Greens come from all of a sudden?

The Sarah-Scott thing just seems to be wasting space (kind of like Lucy Ewing on Dallas). What's the purpose (unless there proves to be one down the road)?

What could Bill and Ana possibly have in common? They could hardly hold a conversation, and yet we're discussing "fourth wife"?

Joey's going to jail . . . and then he's home. Wanda's in the nut house . . . and then she's home. Too fast.

Frank has gone from eccentric to AWOL to evil.

Well, they're promising something spectacular next Monday. We'll see.

12. Starman

I take it you mean Paxton -- mixed him up with another bland nice-guy actor, Pullman.

You must be seeing things in Nikki I've never seen -- I've never seen her be anything but a manipulative, backstabbing bitch. Even when she apparently acts "nice" for a brief moment, it's always a transparent attempt to maneuver somebody into a trap. She bosses Margene around like a cleaning lady, constantly backstabs Barb every chance she gets, and uses the kids as pawns (her own and the others').

The Bill-Ana flirtation did raise an interesting point about the whole concept of polygamy: who decides who gets chosen as an additional wife? Just the husband? So, in other words, the husband can just cruise the world until he spies another set of hips he'd like to deposit his seed into, makes his choice, and whammo, he's got another wife??

Draft saved Draft deleted