1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big loss for Projo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gosox, Oct 13, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Since Providence is a Belo paper, I'm surprised they haven't gotten behind the HS Gametime site being used at Riverside and Dallas. (Maybe they are... can someone clarify?) Most of the prep coverage goes online only.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They use HSGametime, but let me tell you this - many of the people in our coverage area come up and tell me how they cancelled ProJo and read our paper regularly.
    Their biggest issue is they don't cover HS games and when they do, they have a 10-inch story on one page.
    I think if they focused more on preps and actual sports in RI - instead of trying to be Junior Boston paper - they would be doing much better from a sports side, because right now the small weeklies can't match their resources, but they can't match our content, which is why people are coming our way.

Billy - I thought I understood your post, but I get confused easily with quote function errors.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Anotherjrcsurvivor,

Here's the problem with that on the prep front — there's only (and I say ONLY) like 60 schools in the entire state. Everybody essentially knows everybody because they basically play everybody. There's no reason to think that ProJo couldn't focus on even the best 10 or 15 schools in each sport and do a very good job, especially when they have a monopoly as the only state-wide daily.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Small weeklies are like cockroaches. They will be the last survivors.

That being said, I think there is room for a school sports presence in papers 100k and up. No, jrcsurvivor, we can't be everything to everyone nowadays, but preps at least two days a week (Saturdays, Sundays) should be a minimum. Preps can be sold, too.

5. Good points by wicked and Della... Probably a topic we should dedicate a thread to one of these days.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just as an update, Mike McDermott has replaced Art as the ProJo SE.
    Mike's been the do-all, end-all for their web site, but from what I've been told he's pretty geared up to take over.

Draft saved Draft deleted