1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead sez - Marc Spears from Globe to Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spears is probably the tallest sportswriter I've ever seen. I think he's 6-8.

Great guy. Glad he's getting off that sinking ship, although it seems absurd to say that about the Boston Globe.

Congrats to Marc.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

He's a big guy but I certainly don't believe he intimidated a professional athlete (Tony Battie; see passage in The Big Lead item) in peak in physical condition. I suspect Battie's attitude was more, "Whatever."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Marc is good enough to write for the Plain-Dealer. Congrats.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It was Tony Allen, not Battie.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Surely, the only way they fill this gig is from within, right? Most places are simply doing away with their "NBA at-large" beat altogether.

6. bob

bob Member

The Globe's in something of a bind. Frank Dell'apa is a soccer guy who was tapped to do the beat for a year. He did a nice job, but was carried by Spears and his dozens of contacts around the league. Frank wants nothing more to do with the beat. The Globe has a couple of young guys on staff, one (Gasper) who's content covering the Patriots, the other (Benbow) who's not ready. Can't imagine they'd hire a well-known national guy, and can't imagine anyone wanting to go there any more.

7. Have followed Marc Spears' work and career ever since he interned for us years ago. Saw then he was eager to learn and get better, was very receptive to advice from other writers and the desk. Good for him, and I wish him well.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of out-of-work but experienced NBA writers who are freelancing these days and might be interested regardless of Globe's plight (I can think of 8-10 without straining). A few months of a full-time job would be better than zero months of same. At least you'd know going in: Rent, don't buy.

But the way these things go now, those pros won't be considered because Globe will hand off premier beat to someone for on-the-job training. Thereby telling NBA and Celtics fans who are readers or potential readers that there's little worth subscribing to anymore.

9. bob

bob Member

I think that's been the case for awhile there, Joe. They went from pros like Ryan, Shaughnessy, MacMullen, May and Spears to a novice Shira Springer (before Spears, actually) and then fill-in Dell'appa.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

See your point, bob. Celtics fans have better options than Globe then.

11. I have it from a well placed source that the Globe isn't hiring from outside. Had they been able too, they probably would've gotten somebody that's out of work. But they can't, so they will re-shuffle the deck from within.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's a great reporter and the players love him.

Having played in a NCAA Tournament game doesn't hurt his credibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted