1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead: ESPN settles sexual harrassment suit with Berman, makeup person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Spend the money, then. Waste the corporate time.
    It's Berman. Still "The Face of ESPN," right? But not worth defending?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My reading, trying to find a "between the lines," was that there was a lot of mess there. I was guessing a scenario that had her having a relationship with Chris Carter, it leading to problems with her husband and at work, and her finding herself on the outside when the company she worked for canned her (and I am sure there is a story there, too). Maybe her husband started harassing Carter, and Berman being privy to it all, sent some ill-advised texts that said some dumb things? Total stab in the dark with that. Whatever happened, it definitely sounds like what you are suggesting: 1) She had a problem only after she no longer worked there (and was already divorced), and 2) She was trying to get around a confidentiality provision by putting this public via a leak.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mike & Mike will get to the bottom of it. Greenberg went to Northwestern

cjericho and SFIND like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think it is fair to say that Berman has had plenty of issues over the years -- as that video shows. Most likely in discovery, all that comes out even if it would never be admissible in trial. In addition, lots of other dirty laundry about other people will also be mentioned. If you cut a check for say 3-6 months salary, it is totally worth it to avoid a series of embarrassing leaks and the cost of defending a case.

I've never been against Allred in court, but I had a case against her firm about 10 years ago. The vibe that I got from her colleague was that she was a middling lawyer but absolutely amazing with the press.

I had a case a few years back involving allegations of harassment/workplace mistreatment which got a decent amount of publicity. I had worked with the accused executive for years and I knew that he didn't do the things which were alleged. It just wasn't who he was and the quotes in the complaint weren't in tone or substance what he would ever have said. But the plaintiff's lawyer wanted such a small amount of money, I had to recommend that his employer settle, which they did. It would have cost them at a minimum 10-15 times the amount to try the case, even if there was a successful pre-trial motion for summary judgment.

Alma likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

OK, fair enough. But ESPN, for example, can't have it both ways, paying a case "without merit" to go away because they don't want a shitload of dirty laundry from other episodes to come out during discovery.

Actually, they can pay the case to go away, of course. But the spin-doctoring is horseshit.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm as sensitive to gender discrimination as possible given my counsel to my clients, and as much as I dislike the caricature that Berman is these days, that video was not as bad I thought it would be. He no doubt can be creepy but viewed objectively it wasn't that bad IMHO; he did not hold the hug too long nor leer at her really.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What is going on between 0:13 and 0:15?

I haven't watched this youtube in years. I forgot about the "How was Christmas?" question to the jew.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is that because she really is just amazing with the press or if you criticize her it = criticize women's rights?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think she does a great job promoting the hell out of her clients and herself. I'm often not sure to what end -- she got herself on TV dozens of times with respect to Amber Frey, who was never a suspect, wasn't accused of being complicit in anything and was only a witness. Yet both of their faces were everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad either. I mean, it was kinda weird, but I expected to see some harrassin'.

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Tommy, did you think I would get charged?

Whooooop.

Draft saved Draft deleted