1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead bags John Feinstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought Feinstein boycotted ESPN, not the other way around, and that his boycott was over. (I've seen him on some relatively recent ESPN productions, sometime within the past year or two.)

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

Everyone in that comments thread is bagging his golf books, but those are the only Feinstein books I really like. (And I really really like the golf books.)

The basketball ones, though, are filled with too much praise toward the coaches. I read the first few pages of the ACC tournament book and couldn't go any further. With the exception of 'Brink', Feinstein treats them too reverentially.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Get XM and listen to TK when he returns after MNF. Junior still comes on weekly. The show was also available as a WaPo podcast, although I don't know what will happen now that WaPoRadio is dead. (I think they pulled the plug officially. His show was the only one that generated any ratings whatsoever.)

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tony's show will stick around on the new WTTT.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Feinstein was banned by ESPN, not the other way around... I remember TK talking about it... I seriously doubt he was losing sleep over it...

I remember the Lubbock paper having a story where Feinstein ripped the shit out of Season on the Brink and I think that was the major reason they banned him. I don't know if the ban has been lifted, I think it has...

I also remember one time where TK and Feinstein were making fun of DJ Stewy so much that the next day, TK was no longer allowed to mention Stewy by name... This was about 6-7 years ago so I don't know what fences have been mended...

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

"Season on the Brink" is one of the top five sports books ever written.

But I haven't been floored with the rest of Feinstein's work. (Only read about half of his books.) "The Punch" was extremely repetitive and boring in spots. The Ravens book wasn't so bad. I just get the feeling that he hurries his way through most of them.

That said, I love listening to the guy on television and the radio.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Technically it's WWWT. And the rumor is that when he returns he'll be there full time, year-round, not just for six months. And that could mean this is his last go-around on MNF.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Right, 3WT. Should've known.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You really think so? I dunno. Tony the K seems to be working awfully hard (by his standards), and enjoying himself a heck of a lot, for the plug already to have been pulled on MNF.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved "The Civil War" (Army/Navy)

Many of the most recent efforts have been largely distinguished by tremendous quantities of sheer padding.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would say that Season on the Brink is my favorite sports book ever... Ball Four would probably be a close second...

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Sheer padding." New oxymoron? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted