1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead bags John Feinstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TBL got an interview with John Feinstien

He got $17,500 advance to do his first book- after it was turned down by four publsihers - and left the Post to do it.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=3545#more-3545

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Well, there's one name that won't ever show up on the "ANOTHER one to ESPN" thread.
    Props to TBL.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Imagine -- a book author does an interview! Unheard of! Anyway, Feinstein's been talking about the backstory for that book since it was published.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But he is always honest about not being able to hate Knight ... "I can't hate him, he paid for my house" is an oft-repeated Feinstein line.

5. The comments are, ah, interesting.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seeing him basically called the Mitch Albom of the East Coast was interesting.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will seem like me picking on TBL since I've been such a critic of his lately, but that interview was a gigantic miss.

Love him or hate him, Feinstein has some very interesting books he could talk about. Maybe Junior was simply picking and choosing what he wanted to answer, but this interview read like it came from someone who knows very little about JF and did even less research in preparation for it.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's not as though it's been undeserved.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Feinstein shredded the WWL when their ridiculously inaccurate version of Season on the Brink came out... I've had the pleasure of meeting Feinstein a few times and I think he's one of the more interesting people in this business...

Anyone who gets banned from ESPN is OK in my book...

Another great interview by The Big Lead...

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agree, Mizzou.

In spite of some good journalists who work there (having gone over to the dark side, one might say), the WWL sure has become one of those clubs of which you wouldn't want to be a member -- except for the paycheck, period. The arrogance, the shoddy journalism practices so often exhibited, the internal politics and apparent misogyny ... lots of deals with the devil made there.

Seems very vintage Steinbrenneresque, in work culture, from what I've heard: That if they pay you enough, they can treat you anyway they want and ask anything of you, and you will stand up on your hind legs and bark.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Feinstein and Kornheiser are great on the radio. TK loves poking him with a stick, and Junior always comes back.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The best moment of TK's former radio show were when Feinstein was on... He was banned long before ESPN took TK's show away...

Draft saved Draft deleted