1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead Acquired by USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 24, 2012.

1. Wow!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/usa-today-sports-media-group-acquires-big-lead-sports-digital-property-and-fantasy-sports-ventures-2012-01-24

You anti-blog people can suck it (or send Jason your resumes)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would counter that a digital property being acquired by Gannett is proof that said digital property was a bad idea and a losing propostion.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Especially if you're 18 and hot

4. Ace - 19 million unique visitors in the latest comScore report would counter that you are incorrect.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could not be happier for Jason...

6. When considering people I'd like to have suck it - 18 and hot are pretty much always at the top of the list

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jason has earned everything he's gotten. If you don't like his site, that's your right, but he gave up a pretty high-paying magazine gig to devote himself to that site full-time. I really respect guys who put themselves on the line for stuff like that.

The writer in Cincy who started his own site after the Cincy Post folded comes to mind as well. He's at CBS Sports now...

I love hearing about guys like that.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can we at least agree that Gannett will screw it up?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

They just bought their way onto the ground floor of the 2005 internet. What could go wrong?

10. Normally I would agree but if the folks who run Gawker didn't screw it up then maybe there's a chance.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Three questions:

1) Without knowing the sale price or terms, how do we know if this is a great deal or not?

2) Why is Chris Russo labeled the founder of Big Lead Sports?

3) Didn't the Big Lead just sell itself for $1 million or something a couple of years ago? So I don't know what Jason has left to sell anyway.

The deal sounds like USA Today is much more interested in the fantasy sports part of things than in the news content.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Sad to think about every Big Lead interview now being capped at 12 inches.

Draft saved Draft deleted