1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big game coach, college football edition.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

So, I just saw this comment regarding Tubbs on an Auburn BLOG!!!!!!!!

"He just took a team that started three true freshman on the offensive line, lost to Mississippi St. at home two weeks ago, has lost starter after starter on defense and lost its best defensive player midway through the second half (editor's note: Groves), and defeated the No. 4 team in the country, the defending national champions, at night on their home field. Tuberville's team became the first to beat Urban Meyer's Gators in Gainesville."

Auburn has beaten five consecutive top 10 opponents, and nine of the past 10. That's a ridiculous stat.

Is there a better big game coach in the country? I know Carroll always has USC ready for big games (and, like Auburn, not always for the others).

Anyone else thinking the Sabanator won't just step into that state with a crimson shirt and dominate the Iron Bowl? That paragraph also failed to mention Auburn played last night without Brad Lester, its potential All-SEC tailback.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Page 48 ... nah, I can't do it. ;D

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nice.

Anyway, to your point, I was amazed when I saw Tuberville coached teams were undefeated against top 5 opponents in the past. Maybe that's just one of those abberation stats that no-one can really explain. It's not like he has had a large number of opportunities.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I dare you.

At least this came as a joke. After last night, I was afraid this thread would be a disaster, but I think it's a legitimate topic.

You have to play a big game. You have equal (or less) talent. Who do you want on your sideline? I would never think Tubbs off the top of my head, but numbers show he might be the right guy.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How long do you have to prepare?

The only bowl game Ralph Friedgen has lost was when his way overachieving Terps played Florida. He was also the OC when the Chargers made a surprise run to the Super Bowl. When he has time to plan and implement things, he's a friggin genius. Joe Paterno used to be on that list too before he got old.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Beat me by 66 seconds

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Big coach, college football game edition.

only if it applies to this new thread title.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think OSU is dirty as all hell, but Jim Tressel should be in the discussion.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... that was a bang-up job he did in Glendale last Jan.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Only problem with Tuberville is he has to coach the games against unranked teams, too ... and he sucks giant donkey schlong in those.

That said, I choose Gary Pinkel. MUWHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!!!

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know this is difficult for you, as you worry about the crystal meth addict who might be sticking up a 7-11, but one bad game does not mean Tressel is a terrible big game coach.

Since Ye Ol' Sweatervest has been at OSU, he has a record of 62-14. That includes four ten win seasons, four BCS Bowls, two National Title game appearances, three Big Ten championships and a National Championship. Against their biggest rival, Michigan, the Buckeyes are only 5-1.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

And I believe against the BaaaaaDgers he is 1 and friggin' 3. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted