1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big fun in the South China Sea

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. "...and in 2008, I'll run for president until I fall asleep after 20 minutes."

2. somebody has to explain this usage of "pull"

have only ever seen/heard it on this message board

sounds like something 8th-graders would say trying to act cool

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Problem: They claim the South China Sea as territorial waters under a 1982 UN agreement, although nobody else recognizes the claim and most of China's neighbors can make an equal claim if they so choose.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

A UN agreement but no other country recognizes the claim?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The ships are mapping the sea floor there so our subs can navigate. So, I guess we really ARE spying on them.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, it's complicated, at least in part by the fact that nearly every country bordering the South China Sea is capable of claiming at least part of the South China Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_China_Sea#Territorial_claims

The Convention on the Law of the Sea is something else UN-related that needs to be cleaned up.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is there anything the UN has touched that doesn't fucking need to be cleaned up?

It makes the NCAA and NASCAR look like rank amateurs in terms of organizations that exist despite fulfilling absolutely no purpose at all that is of use to humanity in general.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Of course, being in international airspace wasn't always a help . . .

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted