1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big East Expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. Until Hoke came and went, it's always been an underachiever. The Aztecs are clearly riding Boise's coattails here, i.e. the Big East West.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I suspect this is a blue font post . BYU broke the WCC's small, private-school model but SDSU is a whole 'nuther animal. BYU weas admitted bercause it raised the WCC's profile for hoops, which (despite St. mary's success) is Gonzaga and a bunch of teams named Joe. SDSU would help a little more, and be another warm-weather baseball school, even though Gwynn has massively underachieved there.

Seattle U., a small, Jesuit private school, makes far more sense as the next WCC team but Gonzaga put the kibosh on them so they've joined the WAC or Big West, I forget which.

Boise State's Olympic sports add absolutely nothing to anyone except a scheduling headache. Their best non-revenue sport (wrestling) is quite happy competing under the banner of the Pac-12.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I especially love San Diego State. They've been to something like five bowl games, counting this season, in 40-plus years. They haven't won a conference title in more than 20 years and never in the MWC. Hell, as recently as 2008 they won two games. They help the Big East maintain status how?

TV market? Maybe. On the football field? No.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Big East now can say it has television exposure to x-number of "eyes" in the Southern California market when it coms time to negotiate its next TV contract. Of course, all those eyes will be watching SC, UCLA and Pac-12 football, not the Big Weast.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can count the number of San Diego State football games on one finger that have been shown locally in LA (except for State games against SC or UCLA) in the past two decades. The Big East is getting a geographical area that has Mexico as the southern border, the ocean as its west border, the desert as its east border, and Orange County as its north border.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the funniest, stupidest development yet in college football in 2011, which is setting the bar very high indeed.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The lack of common sense and leadership shown by university presidents in realignment has been breathtaking. I thought people running universities were supposed to be smart.

8. Michael_ Gee

AQB, they're all just well-dressed panhandlers who use big words while they put the touch on the suckers, er, donors.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I heard that in order to pay for the increased travel costs to the East Coast that San Diego State is going to abolish their geography department. Is this true?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Union-Tribune is reporting part of the deal for SDSU calls for the Aztecs to play four Big East teams in basketball, to compensate for the likely step back to the Big West. Don't see the WCC as an option, since it's all private Catholic schools, save BYU and Pepperdine (Church of Christ).

MWC expected to extend invites to Utah State and San Jose State, according to Jon Wilner of the Mercury News.

11. Michael_ Gee

So there will be four November-December road/recruiting trips to San Diego for Big East teams. Good thinking, SD State!

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Three years ago, Utah, TCU and Boise State all complained that the BCS just wasn't fair to the little guys.

Seems all three have now been silenced for good.

Draft saved Draft deleted