1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big East Catholic Schools Ponder Leaving En Masse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The way Title IX has been implented totally defies common sense.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

First, we should look at how Title IV funds are handled.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That screaming sound just came from the head coach of every non-revenue program at every BCS AQ school, because their salaries just got cut by 75 percent after the football money disappeared. ;D

4. Mark, you know schools could also cut men's sports that lose money to balance things out. Do you think men's basketball turns a profit at UM-KC, NJIT or Texas-Pan American?

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely convinced that the departure of the seven Catholics would be the death knell for the remaining Big East schools that some think. The total dollar amount of the new TV deal might be smaller, but that's also seven fewer mouths to feed.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There are many schools that have cut men's sports. In fact, in terms of numbers, lots of schools have more women's sports than men's sports. How much sense does that make?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why does Cincinnati continue to play football? I think they should give up football and go with Catholic basketball schools.

I looked up how much Cincinnati made off of football but it was 13M a couple of years ago and they cleared about 2M profit. I don't know how much of that of that revenue came from the television rights for football but I have to believe that the value of the rights to Big East football have declined given recent developments and are now virtually worthless. There can't be more than 100 people in America who can correctly name all the football playing members of the Big East and which schools are coming and going.

And attendance, whcih has been problematic, will sink now that all the nearby rivals have jumped to the ACC East or Big 12. So why not say the hell with it and just concentrate on basketball?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They'll land somewhere decent. Cincinnati football seems on better footing now than it did 20 years ago.

The trend has been just the opposite. Schools like South Alabama, Georgia State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and others who really have no business at all fielding football teams not only doing that but going FBS.

I'm not sure what studies they have done or how they plan to pay for it, because I can't fathom playing in these small FBS conferences like the WAC or Sun Belt generates enough revenue to come close to breaking even. But we're seeing schools take the plunge.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Says who?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bob Hohler had a very good article in the Globe on UMass's first year in FBS. In a surprise to no one but the empire builders in the athletic department, they moved the games 100 miles off campus to Gillette Stadium and attendance went down. They drew less than 7000 for their last "home" game in a 70,000 seat stadium. If I weren't a taxpayer here, I'd laugh.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And how do they fund their non revenue sports without football?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They run them as student activities, as they were supposed to be in the first place. Schools aren't supposed to make money. That's how come they're tax-exempt.

Draft saved Draft deleted