1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Doings in Dallas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I believe it's 25-30 in sports alone. Don't know about the whole newsroom.

2. batts

batts Member

So will today just be the message that Belo's offering buyouts to X-amount of people? How long will the Beloites have to reach that number before the real D-day comes -- the day when layoffs are imposed to reach the Dream Committee's magic number?

3. Employees were told they will have a week to decide whether to accept the buyout once the terms are announced. If not enough take the buyout, they have been told there will be layoffs. Not sure how quickly those would follow, but you have to figure the dept heads put together a hit list during their week of sequester.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

From those in the know:
    Thursday, all newsroom employees will receive a packet that will explain to them their individual buyout/benefits options. They will then have perhaps two weeks to decide whether or not to take it.
    If not enough volunteer to take it, then the long knives come out. And the severance packages at that time might not be as lucrative as the ones originally offered.
    Rumor has it that columnists Tim Cowlishaw and Kevin B. Blackistone were both in Bristol interviewing for ESPN.com gigs.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Was the DMN really "the stud paper" in Texas. I read some of this stuff and people mention the Dallas Morning News as a top-flight paper, maybe a notch below the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and Washington Post, etc. Well, was it really? I mean, if you have four major pro teams in a city, that alone should attract or develop some decent writers and columnists but really? Dave Smith invented the agate page? Pardon me for thinking that doesn't compare with Watergate.

Is the Dallas Morning News like Enron in the sense that they blew up and trumpted their supposed accomplishments? And it seemed like a lot of people, from some of the things I have read on this board, bought into it. OK, the Enron comparison may be a exaggerated, but this seems to be the day of reckoning.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, the DMN was all that. At one point it might have been the biggest sports section in America in terms of space. They covered everything and, for the most part, did it well. I don't know so much about the rest of the paper, but in sports, the DMN was as big-time as big-time gets.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

OK, big in terms of volume and that, to paraphrase Martha Stewart, is a good thing.

I saw it and read it in 1998 for three days when I had a seminar there. It was pretty good, but I didn't think their writers could match the New York Times columnists, and there are columnists at other New York area papers which match or exceed the Times people.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Three words... volume, volume, volume.

It may not have approached the reads of columnists from, say, the NYT or the Tribune, but just the space devoted to sports was staggering. I was there in 2001 on a vacation and I swear SportsDay on a Wednesday was about 28-30 pages. That's nuts.

Those days, very sad to say, might be gone. Whether S-T picks up the slack remains to be seen, and maybe DMN can do a good job with, say, 14-16 pages a day on heavy days. But the destruction of one of the great American sports sections continues.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

30 pages IS nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that over my morning Cheerios. I wish I'd traveled to Dallas more often to see that back in the glory days.

But let's be honest, that size section and that size staff is crazy. It's inexcusable that the beancounters and corner-office jackasses didn't realize this 10 years ago and start trimming via more conventional ways instead of this mass blowup.

10. oldhack

oldhack Member

30 pages isn't nuts if you are in a market that is nuts for sports. I was there at the time. The Times-Herald had owned sports coverage in Dallas for decades. Smith and the DMN took it over in about two weeks. What's sad about all this is that they took a mediocre paper and turned it into a very good one, excellent in some respects. It had its quirks, true, but it was a paper that generated a lot of loyalty among staff and readers. For me, it was very hard to leave, and the brief time I spent there was probably the best and most exciting part of my career.

11. oldhack

oldhack Member

That's assuming the paper was in a gradual slide. There are arguments to be made for that view, particularly if you know (or knew) the key players. But I suspect that what will come out is that this is further fallout from some big hits to the local economy (DMN depended heavily on classified, for example) and from the circulation scandal. One thing I know is that the people at the top at Belo were (and I am sure still are) highly sensitive to Wall Street. And Wall Street punishes you if it does not think you are paying attention.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Haven't all the papers involved in similar circulation scandals whacked staff?

Draft saved Draft deleted