1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Doings in Dallas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

That would mean management cares. And they clearly don't.

2. batts

batts Member

Amen to that.

Belo management only cares about how big the year-end bonus will be for saving/making all that money for the stockholders. Belo stock is down to $16 a share, down from near $30 in early '04 after that last staff purge in late '03.

This smells of trying to produce another stock spike.

3. I'm shocked ... shocked! ... to learn that management would cut personnel just to fatten their stock portfolios.  :eek:

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not true. They aren't cutting folks to fatten their stock portfolios. They are cutting people loose to save their job because their bosses demand fatter stock portfolios.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Any updates on all this? Are things supposed to go down tomorrow still?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not sure, but if things really are going down tomorrow in dallas, i'm sure debbie is going through some rigorous stretching exercises as we speak.

7. Newsroom talk is the announcement comes down Thursday, which D Magazine's Frontburner blog is also reporting. The blog says management is looking for 120 staffers to take buyouts, with 30 of them coming in Sports. That is one-third of the Sports department, folks.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Crap, that's insane. I wonder how many will be writers and how many desk staff.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

she says she's up to all comers.

10. healingman

healingman Guest

The bottom line.

That's all that is important to some management types.

Forget that those people have hearts, souls, families and friends.

Belo should be ashamed for its actions ... but the management isn't. The DMN, at one time, was "the stud" paper in Texas. Now it looks like it's in need of some help. Maybe McClatchy could save this paper, too.

???

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I've heard 30 people must go from the newsroom, if not more.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a big difference from 30 people in the sports department.

Draft saved Draft deleted