1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Doings in Dallas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Will they take suggestions?

2. According to the memo, the Project Team will be made up of department heads. They will be sequestered for two weeks with instructions that they're not to be interrupted. So, don't call us, we'll call you.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

When I think of these guys behind closed doors for two weeks, I can't help but picture the movie "Threads," where the brainiacs are in their underground shelter chain-smoking and breathing in radioactive dust from the air vent.

When the rabble finally get through the rubble, the brainiacs are dead.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Sequestered where, a luxury resort?

5. The Commish

The Commish Guest

If they can still put out a decent paper with these folks behind closed doors, I know where I would start cutting...

6. batts

batts Member

"We see you've been missing a lot of work recently"

"I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob"

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably the Four Seasons.

8. How bad is it getting at the DMN? The staff is taking the publisher to task for his syntax -- and perceived lack of compassion -- in the email notifying them of the impending buyouts/layoffs. Here is the post from a DMN staffer on an alt-news Dallas blog:

"As you know, the DMN newsroom is suffering some heartburn because of the buyouts the company is going to offer and the potential for layoffs if certain targets aren't hit. Reporters have been given very little info on specifics: How much are the buyouts? Who is eligible? When will they be announced? All are unanswered questions.

So last Friday, we get an e-mail from {publisher Jim) Moroney with the unremarkable subject line "FYI."

The body of the e-mail read: "We are planning on making the voluntary severance offer for the newsroom during the week of August 7. If that timing changes, we will send out another notice."

So we finally get word on when we will hear about our fate, and it comes in an e-mail with "FYI" as the header???? As in "Oh, by the way ..."

I think this shows that the brass around here is woefully out of touch with the worker gnomes, who are rightfully angst-ridden over the buyouts. Notifying all of us on our impending doom with a mere "FYI" as he skips off to the Country Club just irritates the hell out of me. He should, at the very least, fake some concern for those who made possible his $98,000 cash bonus last year."

9. standman

standman Member

You have to wonder how much pressure they're putting on the writers to get that football tab done?

10. If it was me, I think I'm keeping those previews in my laptop until Aug. 7 and I find out whether or not I have a job. ;D

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They should also be stockpiling viruses and worms set for a timed release when necessary.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Which the DMN honchos are calling the Three Seasons out of habit.

Draft saved Draft deleted