1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Doings in Dallas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Keep your ears open, folks. I hear some shit is about to hit the fan in Dallas - or may have hit already.

The Moddy Pipeline is providing some details, will post more if/when I hear anything concrete. But what I've heard so far is not good.

No more travel, unless you are a columnist? Can that be right?

Stay tuned and if you know anything, please pass it along.

2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

I heard something about another buyout - 100 people in the newsroom.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Good thing they waited until the weekend so those vicious "watchdogs" like Poynter and E&P can't seize upon the details and analyze the inconsistencies until Monday. ::) ::)

4. Moderator1

Or Wednesday if they take a long weekend.

100 people? How big is the newsroom?

5. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:58 p.m. June 26, 2006

DALLAS – Newspaper and television station owner Belo Corp. said Monday it plans to offer voluntary severance packages to newsroom employees at The Dallas Morning News as part of an effort to compete in an Internet-driven media market.
    The Dallas-based company said it was still working on details, including the number of jobs and a timetable for the buyouts. ...

The Morning News claims to be the nation's 10th largest newspaper. It has been rocked in the past two years by an overstatement of circulation that led to millions in advertising credits.

6. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

According to the American Journalism Review, the newsroom was "down" to approximately 550 after they axed 65 people last year. That put the total number of employees at about 2,150.

7. Moderator1

Buzz is that the top three - Cowlishaw, Sherrington, Blackistone - will keep doing what they're doing. Others will become GA or some such and do whatever. Including preps.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Super bad news for the bureau sports guys, I imagine.

9. Moderator1

Yes, it does. That's why I'm waiting to hear more. And will they wire the road games for a lead or make the columnists do both?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Why don't they just have the columnists write the primary read; i.e., make the column the game story? You don't need a "gamer" if you've got a good columnist writing. In this day and age of 24-hour media, I think that's the way to go. The day-to-day beat stuff would obviously suffer, but if all you've got is one columnist, that can certainly work on gameday.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That is one milquetoast crew of columnists....

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Very sad if true.

But, in all seriousness, welcome to the real world Dallas, a place that has swept the awards year after year after year with a sports staffing that as billowy as the Stay-Puft marshmallow man in Ghostbusters.

Draft saved Draft deleted