1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Data

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The stores have designed it so that you basically have to have a card (so they can track you) or you're going to be paying much more. The most ridiculous example I've encountered is Ralph's on the West Coast. The final bill would usually be about half of what the price would be without a card. One way around it is to not get a card and ask the cashier to swipe their card for you, but they'll try to get you to sign for a card first.

Also, every time someone brings up the ads they get on this site, or any other, I'm reminded that there are people who don't use Ad Blocker, which confuses me. It's free, easy to set up, and it makes being online so much smoother.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ad Blocker eliminates all the ads on these pages?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yep. I haven't seen an ad on this site in years.

4. But is it unethical like deleting cookies to bypass paywalls, which is considered unethical by some posters here?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. Had to re-download Firefox recently and first thing I did was go find my Ad Blocker Plus plug-in. Can't even imagine browsing the Internet without it.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I download TV shows, movies and video games without a second thought, but ad blocker software just feels wrong to me.

*Shrug* Moral cognitive dissonance is weird.

7. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

What loss of privacy and civil liberties? If you elect to use the card ... at a store ... with other shoppers around? Nothing private about shopping, it's just retailers now can compile information about what you buy. Forty years ago, the cashier simply punched in the cost from the price sticker and handed the item to the bag boy.
    As for online shopping, if you believe there's any privacy here, you are as naive as most newspaper readers.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Big Data are plural. Aren't he?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Apples and tinfoil, but you already knew that.

10. Everyone justifies getting around restrictions. Human nature to do so. Deleting cookies, using ad blockers, or giving a fake name for a discount.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ad blocker is avoiding the seeing of something. Getting around a paywall is the active taking of something. Apples and tinfoil. Then again, you already knew that.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe it should be Big Datum.

Draft saved Draft deleted