1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How did the paper look this morning? I noticed a couple of part-timers are still writing. And the endless roster of stringers who are back year after year. I wonder if any of the stringers have hopes of catching on full time or if they just do it for extra cash?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Paper looked the same. Many employees laid off are 'transitioning' out. Some will be gone sooner, some later.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Found out the Harvard suits were talked into retaining all the scoreboard/phone kids. That's good because the agate and preps pages would have been pretty empty without them.

As for me: just got an official job offer from a PR firm that specializes in sports, outdoors and recreation industry.

It comes with a raise over the old newspaper job, they want me to work from home, and I won't need to work 3-5 night shifts per week.

Can anyone talk me out of taking this job?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You haven't already said yes?

Congrats.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've got to figure out a good and stable way to mount my laptop on the handlebars of my indoor training cycling and treadmill.

This job could make being a cyclist/tri geek even more doable

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You really had to ask us??

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Wow and just when the state's top school was going to the Pac10. Guess that eliminates any hope of a Utes beat.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know if Mike Sorensen was one of the cuts, but I'd wait to send in your clips. BTW, if you're not LDS or can't at least get along with Mormons (some people can't), the Deseret News probably isn't the right place for you.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If they try it's only because they want to apply

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Game over.

17 years in the biz and I worked my last desk shift last night.

I sat around the office for an extra 30 minutes after my last headline was written doing busy work and printing out stuff. Walking out that door was pretty strange.

Still need to go back into the office a couple of times -- drop off the laptop to get it scrubbed of software, then again to pick it up for personal purchase and to turn in my key card. But it appears my career in daily newspapers is over.

PR job starts Oct. 1.

I'm available for freelancing in the SLC area, though. Anything from Utah Jazz to Utah State to Olympic sports. I've covered them all and can crank out quality stuff if you're interested.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good luck.
    And having used Mr. Ho several times recently, I can verify the stuff comes in quickly, comes in clean and comes in good.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mr. Ho... I giggle.

Draft saved Draft deleted