1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Jim Patrick

Jim Patrick New Member

Any names? I'm a former employee from the rival paper in town. As frustrating as it was to work against the DesNews -- they always seemed to have more writers than our paper, despite being the smaller paper -- I feel very bad for the DesNews guys. We were competitive, but they're still good people. Any word on who is gone?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Podunk High loses 43-0, but tries really really hard!"

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I can't help but fear this is just the beginning. Isn't this the third or fourth such thread this week?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jeebus Cripes. Translation: SLC essentially became a one-paper town.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, so basically they are becoming an adjunct of the broadcast stations and basically ceeding the newspaper business to the Salt Lake Tribune. That's what I read in this.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes, sports was affected. At least one that I know of. That's all I'm saying though.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At least four writers in sports that I know of thus far - I'm holding back on names, too, for now. They'll be out soon enough.
    Sad day, again, for the industry.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Burn in hell, assholes.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Agree. After the size of the reduction, that was the other sentence that made my stomach turn.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And a Singelton paper at that!

Anyone think it's related to BYU going independent in football? [/crossthread]

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

While I agree with some of the goals and objectives, I strongly disagree with the method being taken to reach them.

A legitimate newspaper (which the Deseret News is stepping even farther away from being) should not pattern its approach to journalism after the Huffington Post

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Found this on our website the other night.... it's scary...

The 1st kick by Skyline was kicked to the 50 yd.line directly in the arms of Woodvilles #48 Richie Wilkins. The 1st Quarter with 4:53 left in the game saw #10 Grant Ball run 75 yards for the touch down. #32 Randy Brown kicked the field goal to make the game 7-0. Staying that way til the 4rd quarter when Zack Gordan ran a 12 yd touchdown run making the game 7-6. A field goal attempt was blocked by #48 Richard Wilkins keeping the score to it's final 7-6 Woodville winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted