1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Akron

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ohiowriter, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What was your point? Here's your second post, the one I initially addressed:
    You said that Storm was run of the mill. You're entitled to that opinion.

But I can only presume "damning with faint praise" was intended to take a shot at the other papers covering Eastern League teams -- and those papers feature some damn good beat writers. And some damn good papers in that pile. I don't know where Storm stands on the EL pantheon -- heck, I've never even heard of her until this thread, though I'm just a casual EL follower -- but the EL beat guys I've read (some of them pretty regularly) are pretty good. If someone's making a value judgment on her work based on other EL writers, I'll presume a.) they know their stuff, have followed the league and just aren't tossing it out there; and b.) she's a decent writer.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

When Stephanie Storm worked for me in Orlando as a high school writer, she was great. A really hard-working reporter, who constantly came up with enterprise and was willing to work hard and get great enterprise stories in the paper, even if they pissed off coaches.

That's not the norm in high school coverage.

Not familiar with her work in Akron, but sometimes what you see in the paper is not so much a product of the reporter but of how the reporter is used by management.

And a plug for Dan Hickling here, too, who is one of the most amazing freelancers I have ever known. He'll cover stuff from Maine to California, I believe.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Akron Beacon Journal just announced more job cuts.

The paper's new publisher, Ed Moss, told NewsChannel5 that 27 people were laid off with severance packages. The cuts went into effect Thursday.

The positions came from various departments. Last month, the paper laid off 40 employees from the news room.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Well, here are the lovely young woman's last four leads. I guess everyone can judge for his(her)self. (I particularly like the first one ;D)

There might be no "I'' in team, but there is in the last name of Adam Miller. ...
    ( By Stephanie Storm, Beacon Journal sportswriter, 09/18/2006 03:01 AM EDT)

To walk, or not to walk? That was the burning question before Portland Sea Dogs closer Barry Hertzler was ordered to intentionally walk the Aeros' Trevor Crowe with one on and one out in the ninth inning to get to the lesser-known Brandon Pinckney.
    ( By Stephanie Storm, Beacon Journal sportswriter, 09/17/2006 03:01 AM EDT)

The Aeros mounted rallies in each of the first two games of the Eastern League Championship Series against the Portland Sea Dogs earlier this week, just not in the ninth inning when they needed it most.
    ( By Stephanie Storm, Beacon Journal sportswriter, 09/16/2006 03:01 AM EDT)

There was a mixture of frustration and optimism in the Aeros locker room after Wednesday night's 13-8 loss to the visiting Sea Dogs left Akron facing elimination in the best-of-five Eastern League Championship Series that continues tonight in Portland, Maine.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

What you need to know, too, is that there is no "whine" in Storm, either. We sat together for three days straight during the Aeros/Dogs' series, knowing full well that these were her last-ever gigs for the ABJ...One would never have suspected that she was serving an employer that had already dumped her. She approached these last days on the job as though they were the first ones. Steph's handling of what could have been a bitter experience is a great example to us all.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was big of her to do the job she was being paid to do.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I envision a lock symbol next to this thread very soon.

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Let's keep it clean, folks.

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

And looking at the leads, she did approach it like her first days ... of writing.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

OK, you guys don't like Storm, that's fine.

The crap that I saw here last night, though, was amazingly over the line. Another reason why some people still say this bidness is a sexist one.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They're not just saying that, Wicked. This is a VERY sexist business. You see it on here and if you're a woman you see it at work as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.