1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Akron

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ohiowriter, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hey Tom, if you're gonna take on Mr. Ridgeway on such a personal level, then come out on your own name and rip him.

Unless you really are Tom Petty.

Then I apologize.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Tom, let me rephrase this. Would it be even minimally rational to expect the newspapers McClatchy didn't want -- McClatchy, now, one of the few "nice" companies -- to be sold to someone who was going to maintain or improve the conditions at places like Akron? Black paid $165 million for Akron, and the banks want their money. In a faded industrial city, how else could we reasonably expect a bottom-feeder to pay the loan and still make enough profit to make it worth his while? As a KR alum, I am far from happy about what's being done in Akron and at other KR papers dumped by McClatchy, but I'm realistic. This is what happens to newspapers in cities like that, and I've been through it, too. Seriously, what were you expecting?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

OK, I'll weigh in here.

If we can't expect better than some fucktard with deep pockets coming in on Day One and proclaiming that everyone is a time-waster and should be fired, then something is wrong.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For the person who clearly didn't know what he/she was talking about, re: circulation figures:

-- Harrisburg, 100k weekday/120k Sunday
    -- Portland, 70k weekday/105k Sunday
    -- Trenton Times 60k weekday; Trentonian 40k weekday
    -- Manchester, N.H., 60k weekday

5. I don't think their intent was to rip on anyone's circulation. The jealous individual's aim was to rip someone else for having a job that they couldn't land. Lots of people seem to do it on this site. Circulation was their weak way of justifying their argument. They probably should've just come out and said, "she sucks because I wish I could write at the ABJ, but instead, I'm a jealous desker somewhere."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you see zero irony in your post there SPACEMAN or are you just fucking stupid?

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ummm.... Tom, he didn't rip you personally the way you ripped Frank. I think that's the point.

Discussion of an issue under cover of anonymity: Good
    Personal attack under cover of anonymity: Bad

That is all.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

frank, and i had no idea that was your real name, how is 20 percent not enough? don't folks buy businesses every day and not lay off staff with a much lower bottom line?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, I cowardly hide behind anonymity just like you, Tom. Only The Great Whitlock breaks ranks. You know that. ;)

Spaceman was just having fun with you, that's all.

10. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

She still doesn't deserve to be laid off ... you would think this would be the one time when people would refrain from ripping her. Sad.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well frank, after a post as honest as that, i don't care who's wrong or who's right.

you coulda rolled with a lie and you didn't ... that and you ripped whitlock at the same time. that i can respect.

maybe i'm a little hyper-sensitive to what i experienced a few or three stops back. i step aside and let you have final word on this one.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Alexander, stop hating.The Eastern League is in some pretty decent markets that have good, sizable papers. (I forgot about 80k Reading.) Sophisticated markets, even, especially Portland. If you think her competition is wet-behind-the-ears college grads looking to move up from smaller rags, you'd be mistaken. Even the Altoona beat writer has been there pushing 10 years, and he's one of the better ones in the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.