1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Akron

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ohiowriter, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I go back to something I said earlier.

Newspaper editorial pages piss and moan every time a plant closes or someone gets laid off. Then their company does the same thing, and not a word is written.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i missed this one the first time through you sarcastic SOB. i'm just glad it reappeared so i could have a damned good laugh the second run through.

3. scalper

scalper Member

Most papers are in the process of becoming the Daily Shopper. It is only hastening the industry's demise. How often do you see people in airports, or at coffee shops, reading things on laptps instead of holding a paper in their hands? It's amazing the cuts have not come sooner and deeper, really. Too bad the bigwigs don't understand that dumbing down the product is part of the problem and not the answer.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

In defense of the PD, this is an extremely generous package offered on an entirely voluntary basis and I would be stunned/shocked/alarmed if it got to the point of layoffs.

I would be willing to venture that, adjusted for cost of living, the PD is one of, if not the best, paying papers in the nation. Job security is essentially for life.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

On the other hand I was in a 7-Eleven yesterday and the fat guy in front of me, dressed like a trailer park dweller, was buying three different newspapers, which I admit is unusual. Where I live I always see people reading newspapers.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Might just have had a litter of children puppies to house-break.

7. jshecket

jshecket Member

So what does this mean for Terry Pluto?

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I just started reading this thread, and I just love how you liberal weenies out there use any excuse to blast Bush for the Ohio economy and losing your jobs. You say how much better things would be with Gore or Kerry in office.

What a joke---those spineless wusses would not only have been unable to save your jobs, but also all of us would be praying to Allah and serving the whims of our Al Quiada masters. Now go back to your Michael Moore altars of worship. Geez.

I'll say this for Kerry---he's the only soldier/sailor I"ve ever seen from the Vietnam era who even then had a cameraman following him aorund. The proof is in that footage of him traipsing around in 'Nam looking like just one spoiled brat out already campaigning for office. deadbeat dork.

I voted for John Kerry before I voted against him. Yuck, yuck. LOSER.

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

Just to continue this thread. Unfortunately, the predictions were correct...

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/FREE/60822014/1025
    http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003020880

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Although it wasn't unexpected, this was a another very sad development for a once incredible paper. I heard sports lost four people. Don't know if there is any truth to this, but there's a rumor that Reed is on a very short list to be brought back.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I can't believe this fucking quote in the Crain's story.

Having plenty of fucking fun, you fucking asshole. Next time you have a breaking news story and there's only one reporter to cover it, since 12 others have been laid off and you won't allow your staff to work OT, and you have to send a city editor out there, and your ass gets handed to you by the local TV stations, then it'll be fucking funny.

/endrant

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Pat gets laid off in the middle of the season, I hope he gets picked up by a competing paper and then beats the hell out of the ABJ the rest of the year. Sometimes this business really sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.