1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts at Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Oct 30, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

10-12 positions?

Wow.

How many major beats there? Reds, Bengals, UC, Xavier. I don't think they've covered Kentucky for awhile, although they sure used to. I think they may have even covered Ohio State at one point back in the glory days of journalism (1990s).

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I said six for a reason.

When Forbis left to go to LA I thought someone said there were eight at that time but I can not find the thread. I thought there was a Bengals reporter, a Reds reporter, a back-up Reds reporter/utilityman, a columnist, Xaxier and Cincinnati reporters and two preps guys. But my memory is an imperfect instrument.

I remember they did not cover Ohio State- which stunned me given the number of Big Ten alum in Cincinnati- and I don't think they covered Kentucky.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My math may be off a bit. It seemed like the number was around 10-12, but it could be 9-10. Romenesko's site had that link to the PDF chart of jobs and I wish I could find it.

4. LanceyHoward

I am probably a bit obsessive about this. But at some point, and I think it is close, a lot of papers are going to have to abandon most of thier full time beat guys. The sports section will be absorbed into the central desk and general assignment reporters who hopefully are interested sports will go out and cover the local equivalent of the Xaxier basketball game or help out on a Bengals game. It sounds like that is where Gannett is going, perhaps unintentionally.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't see any evidence of this in the moves they've made in Nashville, say. I think there's going to be a lot of triage in what they try to cover, and siccing a "columnist" on this or that.

6. bermosk

bermosk New Member

The job chart link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8WLqx5US2mYVndDWGxwRzFWcjg/view

7. LanceyHoward

In Nashville my understanding Gannett said that the positions vacated would be refilled. I am not sure if that actually happened. I don't think that is the case in Cincinnati though I could be wrong.

And thanks to the org chart, assuming that it is up to date, we can see where the Enquirer is at. Staffing is 12.5.

There are:

A sports editor
    Columnist
    Two Reds reporters
    Two Bengals reporters
    1.5 Cincinnati University
    Preps editor
    Recruiting
    Xavier basketball/other sports

and a producer and a photographer.

They fired one of the Cincinnati U guy and a Reds guy. So assuming that there is not a staff reshuffle that will leave one on the Reds and I guess the half-time guy on Cincinnati U will go full-time.

But where do they cut next? I would guess the second Bengals guy and the recruiting reporter are next on the block. But at that point where do you get extra bodies if you want to do an opposing locker room story after a big game. I think the person will come from a different desk. And at that point does someone say let's fire the sports editor- save some more money- and run a combined desk.

And do you think the cuts are going to stop?

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Next on the block is the sports editor.

Look, most of these writers are seasoned and quite experienced. They don't need to be told what their assignments are or what's expected of them. Many of the editorial duties can be shuffled to one of the news editors that remains. It's a big cost savings for them for what is essentially an overpaid administrative position.

I would agree, however, that the second Bengals guys is probably on the chopping block next, too.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

In the past 12 months a high school/GA reporter, Bengals beat writer and sports editor left. Now "opting out" are both interim SEs, the Reds/takeout writer (who did maybe 10 articles a year) and one of the UC writers. One other person could be opting out as well:
    Under the proposed chart
    A sports editor
    Columnist (Doc)
    Two Reds reporters (Fay and Rosecrans)
    Bengals reporter (Dehner)
    In season Bengals/offseason "enterprise" (On staff)
    1.5 UC (The .5 is likely to a stringer to handle the football/basketball overlap; full timer is already on staff)
    Preps editor (On Staff)
    Recruiting (On Staff)
    Xavier basketball/other sports (On staff)
    and a producer and a photographer. (Producer is on staff; Photographer TBA since at least half the photographers are leaving including two who shot 90 percent of sports)

Right now, they just have enough to fill the spots. For awhile they used to have a writer serve as the combo Reds/Bengals backup. They might have to go back to that.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just because this drives me nuts. It is the University of Cincinnati not Cincinnati University.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The beginning of the end for me and the Indianapolis Star was when I saw "University of Indiana" in print.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

What is the status of the sports editor?

Draft saved Draft deleted