1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big change at Mizzou's J-school?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

You have no idea how right on that really is...

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I know, I was on the fence as to whether or not to use the blue

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

mymissourian.com is grass roots and taking journalism to the streets and /or the dorms. I recall students from that class giving us spam mail in the dorms trying to get 15 people to post on the site so they could get their minimum.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Maybe the students can help build a sweatshop there this summer so more U.S. papers can offshore ad-production duties.

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I've heard of people that would write the stories and put their friends' names on them. The bastards.

6. JME

JME Member

This is a shame. I've been impressed by how enterprising the Missourian is.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If they had any real advertising in that paper, then it would have been enterprising. Losing a cool mil into a paper every year isn't going to cut it, regardless if it's a teaching vessel or not.
    The Missourian has been operating that way for years, and it was clear the advertising wasn't going to come via that paper alone. It's sad, because there are a lot of really good editors who have gone through that place and made Mizzou students -- past and current (myself included) -- much, much better.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

http://showmenews.com/2008/Jun/20080618News011.asp

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Second that.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Why not just eliminate the school's j dept altogether and prevent generations of sapps from ruining their lives by entering a can't win occupation?

11. Yes, that's been done too. The class was essentially just get 15 posts to MyMissourian and that's it. It was basically useless.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've got some trickles of Missourian news on several different fronts:

Most importantly, it appears Missourian SE Greg Bowers suffered a heart attack sometime last week. He was apparently released from the hospital after a couple days, but it doesn't look like he'll be rushing back into work any time soon. Bowers was one of the Missourian people supposedly on his way to China for the Olympics (discussed earlier on this thread). But it's not clear whether or not he'll still go. If he does, it will be later.

Much less important (and I don't know how this relates to Greg), the sports and news desks have apparently been merged, at least for the summer. Some are saying it's a permanent move until the Tribune stuff is figured out; some are saying it's temporary. Can't really confirm it.

Draft saved Draft deleted