1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big change at Mizzou's J-school?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Missourian people are contemplating a JOA-like agreement with the Columbia Tribune, and talks between the two could lead to anything from the Missourian going purely digital to cutting back just a few days a week.
    Either way, it appears the Missourian is no longer trying to be more than a "niche" publication.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/06/06/partnership-between-two-columbia-newspapers-could-/

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I've long feared this would happen, and it will be a damn shame if (when) it does.

3. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Great way to celebrate the J-School's 100th anniversary...

4. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

On the other hand, the University of Missouri, from what I've heard, is sending more people to China to cover the Olympics than 98 percent of US newspapers.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

That is accurate to a degree.
    Those students -- the one I'm close to just finished up her master's and will be one of the on-site editors -- had to pay a shit-ton of money to go over there. I'd be curious to know how much the school is paying for.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

How in the hell can a college student pay their own way to China? Someone hit Powerball?

7. jericks

jericks New Member

The students headed to China aren't going to cover the Olympics. They're headed to China to operate in a PR capacity, although I'm not exactly sure what it entails. And as to the Missourian's problems, this has been coming for a long time, like the linked article states. Very few people who aren't affiliated with the university view the Missourian on the same level with the Tribune...

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The letter is addressed to "Dear Reader." I was not aware it had gotten that bad.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds like a great opportunity.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think some help from Mom and Dad is likely involved.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I believe Tom Warhover does a weekly "Dear Reader" column.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

I've been told what you wrote via a PR capacity is completely untrue, and that comes from someone going as one of the on-site editors.
    It's going to be more like a wire service (for "Missouri Newspaper Groups") than anything else. Maybe there are PR people going for a different operation, but they're not all going for PR.
    And the person I know who is going dropped 3 Gs of her own money (she's in grad school and already worked for three years prior to that) and got a 1k scholarship. She's also paying for her own food and entertainment while she's there.

Draft saved Draft deleted