1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Brother 2013

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 25, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know it's a bit early, but it's starting early this year (June 26), and I figure I'd establish the outlet for developments in the run-up. This year it will air on Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I just hope it will be all newbies, all season, tho the show has improved gradually from the low point of the Brigade season.

2. dooley_womack1

It's also expected to have a record cast size, no veterans and perhaps a new house.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

All good. ... Although I found the Brigade amusing. I thought it was a good season.

I just don't have much need to see Rachel and Jesse or Britney or Doctor Will anymore. I agree with you. Just get some new people in there and play it straight. Create some new Big Brother personalities.

One thing I would like to see, but I know won't happen. ... Just pick REGULAR people who are huge fans and know how the game works. Last year, they tried to stack the deck too much. The worst was Shane. Not only useless, but had never watched the show, and hadn't even thought to be on it. Had no idea of show history or strategy going in. They chose him because he was in a calendar for a women's magazine. I don't mind the fact that they mix it up -- the token gay guy, the token minorities, the token old person, etc. But stop trying to hand-pick good contestants from your own talent hunts, because you never get it right. Pick from the fans and you'll get enough whack jobs / drama to keep it interesting. They are always the best contestants anyhow. For example, Ian, who really was a champ.

4. dooley_womack1

Of course, Ian would have been the second eliminated if not for the coach's save. What I'd like to see is an occasional punishment for throwing competitions (and the Have Nots concept has too many loopholes). Like maybe surprising them by eliminating the last-place finisher in a competition once.

5. dooley_womack1

And the Brigade members had decent personas, yo. But it was painful to watch a whole house not figure out that blatant alliance (Kristen, of all people, came closest).

6. The Big Ragu

Yeah, for sure. It took Ian a while to get past the weird, nervous guy thing that was tripping everyone out. Even a really good player can get eliminated early on. There is an element of luck to it. It doesn't mean Ian wasn't a really good player. At the beginning he was shaky. And at the end, he almost misplayed it. But in between, he was really, really good.

I like your idea about eliminating a last-place finisher -- and with no warning. Will make people think twice about throwing a competition (even if I think that is part of game strategy).

7. The Big Ragu

The painfulness of it all. ... and how full of themselves they were. ... were what made it so entertaining for me. Enzo was the most useless character ever, but thought he was running the house. The only one of them I thought was actually worth anything was Matt, and he got stabbed in the back first and ousted.

The whole silliness of how things were playing out -- and it was as much luck as smarts on their part -- was what made it fun for me. You had the
    "Meow Meow" thing, even though he was absolutely useless (but full of himself, the fact that everyone else in the house (except Brittney) was unlikeable so it made Hayden seem like a great guy (I know you don't agree) and Lane being so inept at trying to court Brittney.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm thrilled they're starting it earlier... Probably a good move. Usually toward the end of the summer they seem to have to rush to end it before the new shows begin.

It's the perfect summer guilty pleasure reality show. If it was on during the regular TV season, I would have problem watching it three nights a week. During the summer, it's perfect.

I'm glad it's a whole new cast. Every now and then you have to do that to get the same group that you are going to use for the next 3-4 summers... :D

9. dooley_womack1

You may have been kidding with that last line, Mizzou, but it's really true.

And Kristen, whom I mentioned earlier, was on Baggage recently. As slutty as ever, and with upgraded false cannage.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wasn't kidding at all... :D

They need to find the next round of Rachels and Jesses.

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I wish they'd bring Hantz back, and Jesse, and Kaysar, and Brenchel.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And with that, I've found the one thing that would make me stop liking Kaysar. :(

Saw where BB After Dark will be on G4 this year now that CBS bought it.

EDIT: Er, TVGN. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-brother-dark-moves-showtime-559927

Draft saved Draft deleted