1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Brother 17

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 20, 2015.

1. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Yorks, with all the stuff that happened with the BB15 crew (Aaryn/GM/Amanda), the fact it is still on the air doesn't give me much hope for your scenario.

I will put this out there - if this show does die off in a couple years, the Battle of the Block is the reason why. In two years with it we've seen one season that got incredibly predictable before NFL training camps opened, and another that is basically on the same path. I would be willing to predict you could turn off the show now, not turn it back on until there were three to go, and the last three will likely be Vanessa, Shelli and Johnny Mac - if only because one pawn gets through almost every year to the last three.

The Battle of the Block needs to be tossed into the bin with the food comps, luxury comps, and apparently the Pandora's Box. It makes tanking the comps that much more prevalent, and I hate that as a competitor. Frankly, if I ever played on that show and someone came to me asking me to throw a competition, I'd tell them what they want to hear and then do the exact opposite. Then if they got angry? Oh well.

2. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

SPOILERS .....

James held on for dear life and won the HOH. Shelli was second and Johnny Mac third.
    James debated most of the night and into the morning about who he'd put up, originally thinking to try and backdoor Shelli.
    But, at around 7 this morning, James decided to go for the big play and put up Clay and Shelli.
    Naturally, Clay and Shelli are wondering what the number on the bus was that just ran them over.
    This is glorious!

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is good stuff. I read that James beat out Shelli for the HoH and before she went down she got James to agree that he wouldn't nominate her or Clay. Is that true?

Either way. ... I am glad someone other than Clay, Sheli, Austin, Vanessa, Liz, Julia won the HoH. The house just needed it.

I am a bit off the Vanessa bandwagon after last week. She annoyed me. She overanalyzes everything and lectures everyone -- when she is just as slimy as anyone. I thought she was more calculating, and less emotional, than she has turned out.

I think I am rooting for Johnny Mac more than anyone else. He still really cracks me up. Steve would be up there, too. I guess I am still OK with Vanessa. I can't believe I am saying it, but I'd even be OK with Meg.

I was glad to see Jason go. I can't wait till Clay and Shelli are gone. They both annoy the hell out of me.

4. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Ragu, she tried to make a deal but I thought all James did was parrot what she said. He had a realization that, with no BOB, he's better going for targets and not pawns.

I wanted to see Jason stay, but if his leaving means Shelli goes, cool.

Oh, as an aside to Clay - he said (but I don't think he'd actually do this) if he won the POV, he'd use it on Shelli. He's a moron.

Vanessa doesn't have an off switch. She talks, and talks, and talks.

If James hadn't won the HOH, this season would essentially be decided and you could just march the Outsiders (Jackie, Meg, James) right out the door.

5. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

SPOILERS .....

James won the POV in the keep/trade competition
    Shelli and Clay tried to save themselves, throwing a bunch of people under the proverbial bus, and it didn't work
    James kept the nominations the same.
    Shelli should go home, but Clay has been trying to make waves to say send me home so you can keep the woman he loves in the house.
    If Clay gets sent out he will be the dumbest person ever to play Big Brother - ever. Nobody comes close. He isn't gonna last a month outside the game with Shelli. And he will never play this game again. He's got one shot at $500K - don't blow it for something that won't have much of a shelf life outside the game.
    The only good vote is get rid of Shelli, and I don't care what Vanessa thinks, because I think she'd rather Shelli stay because - alliance.

6. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

SPOILERS ......

They did the comp where you had to scoop up some liquid and go across the yard to dump it in a bucket. Becky did great, and opened up enough of a lead that she won all three prizes - first the halve-not pass, then another $5K (she's won $10,000 in the last two comps combined), and finally the HOH.
    Becky appears set that she's going to put up Shelli and Steve, with Vanessa as a potential back-door candidate (I'd be guessing she's go up in place of Steve, but it might not matter).
    With what's happened in the last two HOHs, and the willingness they have to put up a big name (or two, in James' case), Vanessa may rue the day she put up Jason as a renomination candidate - and not as in, "Oh, I shouldn't have done that." But more, "Why would I think of doing that?". She awoke the other side of the house, and brought together Meg, Jackie, James, and now Becky - with the chance of Johnny Mac coming over to that side, too. They were sleeping through the season, and Vanessa messed with what was working all to get out Jason. It wasn't worth it.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Becky has really been flying under the radar screen and kind of playing both sides of the house. But I knew she could win competitions. You could just see it early on and you can see her competitiveness when she doesn't do well in a competition. She is more pissed than most people.

Shelli is the easy one to go after this week, so I wouldn't see that as a big game move. Vanessa will create drama if she is the target. I usually feel like I have a good handle on the people and the game, but I totally had her wrong. I thought she would be cunning and strategic. She is emotional and creates a little drama.

Surprisingly Austin and the twins are coming out of all of this relatively clean. At some point, though, someone is going to take a shot at breaking up the twins. James will also be a target at some point, because being bold makes people notice you.

Is Steve one of the biggest floaters ever, or is he just not making the edits for some reason?

Has Johnny Mac shown any game so far? He's hysterical and I love him and I want him to go far, but has there been any strategy involved in anything he is doing?

Meg could float through toward the end. Everyone likes her.

8. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Becky was playing both sides of the house. She was close with Clay and Shelli, and running them info after talking with James and his crew. But yesterday there was a pretty good verbal sparring match in the purple room that essentially woke her up. It looks like she is picking a side, and it's with the Outsiders (James, Jackie, Meg). Johnny Mac may follow soon, too, as he wants Vanessa out.

Shelli may go on the block, but .... SPOILER ALERT ... Vanessa appears to be the target for a backdoor nomination. And if she goes up, I expect a 4-all tie that Becky snaps with her vote. I thought Vanessa would be a very calculated player and would cruise through the game. She's been the exact opposite and needs to be put out of her misery.

Austin and the Twins will likely go soon, and I think Liz goes first. Julia should break away and at least have a bond with Johnny Mac so her game isn't sunk when Liz goes. Austin is dead man walking. He may go after the buyback, which is coming.

I think Steve isn't a floater. I think he's totally out of his element. He will go a little longer, but he is not cut out for this game.

Johnny Mac started to show a little game yesterday, telling Steve (who may be building a bridge) about wanting to target Vanessa. The only thing he's done before now is the boyband punishment. And, yes, his DR's are pretty funny.

Meg will not get past Final 5. I think Johnny Mac, James and Julia are the last three, and if James makes the final it's going to be hard to beat him unless James just totally implodes.

9. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

SPOILER ALERT ....

Becky's plan appears to be coming true. Steve won the POV, which was the comic book one where you had to match the order to what you saw going across on a zipline.
    Therefore, he is going to come off the block, leaving one spot open. Vanessa was nervous about whether the plan (to put up Johnny Mac, which she thinks is Becky's plan) is still in motion, and Becky told her it is.
    It isn't, of course, because Becky is going to put up Vanessa instead.
    Again, I think the vote ends up 4-4, with Becky breaking the tie, but I think if the four who would vote to save Vanessa realize the four to evict her are solid and will not be swayed, they may switch to save themselves some heat and the tie-breaker won't be needed.
    Either way, it looks to me like Vanessa is finished (she could win her way back in later on, but even then I think she would be the immediate target to get out).

10. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

OR NOT .... SPOILERS

A few hours after the veto ceremony Monday the discussion started between James, Jackie and Meg about whether it was best to keep Vanessa through the first vote of the double eviction coming Thursday. James, especially, realizes that if Shelli stays in the house and wins the HOH competition in the second half of Thursday's show, either he or one of Jackie and Meg are toast. So the three decided to get the vote flipped to save Vanessa, and it appears James may have the votes to do it with help from Austin and the Twins. If that were to happen the only two to vote out Vanessa could be Johnny Mac and Steve.
    If that happens, Becky will be steamed. She apparently let it be crystal clear how she felt about Vanessa in her speech, which airs tonight. James also knows Becky was the one who wanted James up when Vanessa ultimately put up Jason. The thing Becky forgot at the time, though, was since James won Battle of the Block, he couldn't go up.
    I could easily see Becky following Shelli out the door Thursday night - unless Vanessa sticks her foot in her mouth and blows all the momentum she's got to stay and the James/Jackie/Meg trio decides, "Screw it. Vanessa's gone."
    But keep in mind one possible outcome of the first vote, regardless of what happens tonight. I still think there's a chance Austin and the Twins are screwing with James with any support of voting out Shelli. I don't think it's high, and I may be just pulling it out of the air for kicks, but I could see an outcome where the James/Jackie/Meg group all flip to vote out Shelli, the AusTwins vote out Vanessa, Johnny Mac votes out Vanessa, Steve votes out Shelli, and we end up with the tie anyway - which means Vanessa is gone.
    On tomorrow's vote, keep an eye on who Jackie or Meg vote for, and who Austin votes for. That will determine what the final vote is.

Draft saved Draft deleted