1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bIG bREAK

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SURFCAV, Jul 7, 2013.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh please...this is Texas, just call him JD.

3. Such a vivid memory of something that didn't happen.

Wasn't the Dodgers' last pennant in 1988?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He would have been better off staying here, but I digress.

Never, ever write "But I digress." Good idea not to digress, either.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He also refers to the Taiwan League where Manny was playing. It's actually the Chinese Professional Baseball League.

6. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

Thanks to everyone that offered something constructive to say. To all the others that are currently out of work and are better writers than I am, sorry, look harder. This job was unfilled for eight months before I took it. And The last time I wrote sports was in the early 90's at Texas Tech. I have been busy doing other things like trying to avoid being blown up overseas for my country. I have been here a month, and I'm relearning a lot of things I did 20 years ago. Sorry If I appeared brash and cocky. And no, I really don't want to go to a bigger market, I like Brownwood, why I came here. As most of y'all know sports writing is kind of like marksmanship. Repetition like we train in the military, Is key. I wanted feedback but I shouldn't have put myself or my paper out on blast.
    I will get better each day I go out.

7. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

In regards to the Rangers, I know them pretty well and their history of paying players. After they got Hissed on the A-Rod deal several years ago, they did indeed let a lot of players go instead of paying them when they became free agents. It wasn't until Jon Daniels, Nolan Ryan (and new financial backers) have they just begun in the last couple years to pay marketable contracts like Kinsler, Beltre's and Andrus, Darwish. Been a ranger backer since I was a 10 yr old reading Galloway in the 70's.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

'70s. And from the post before, '90s. Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, how about you go away now? Follow the advice you've been given if you want, don't follow it if you don't want. But no matter what you've done in your life, it doesn't entitle you to be an asshole.

Congrats on finding an employer with such low standards that even basic factual errors don't have consequences. You sure trumped us there.

10. johngregory

johngregory New Member

My god, is this board nothing but fart sniffers? So self-righteous and full of themselves.

If you're seeking a definition.....
    Fart Sniffer: Someone who is so pretentious they enjoy the smell of their own flatulence.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Other than you, who's being pretentious?

12. Thanks for your service. You should mention it more often.

Draft saved Draft deleted