1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big, big changes at USA TODAY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by geddymurphy, May 23, 2012.

1. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I'm not comfortable posting names until they're more public, but some really surprising people are departing USA TODAY as Morgan swings his ax. Yikes. Stay tuned.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wonder if it's a purge of people still there from when I was a loaner there more than 20 years ago.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bailing or getting pushed off the ledge?

4. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Pushed.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I heard a few possibilities last week, wasn't sure whether to believe it.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

From today's Sports Business Daily's Closing Bell:

USA Today Sports Media Group Restructuring Editorial Staff

USA Today Sports Media Group has enacted a significant restructuring of its editorial roster that has resulted in the departures of about a dozen veteran staffers of the media outlet, including sports business and media writer Michael McCarthy and "Game On" blogger Tom Weir. Company officials declined to say how many staffers overall were affected in the move.

7. BlackBerry

BlackBerry New Member

Sad to see anyone lose their job. I especially enjoyed McCarthy's contributions.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jesus H. Tapdancin' Christ. A lot of good names, it sounds like, are headed out based on the sampling above. I wonder if this extends to inside the other sections. Hate to see them lose Robert Bianco, one of the last remaining decent TV critics a newspaper has.

9. CNY

CNY Member

Is USAT going to hire a bunch of people to replace those who got cut? Seems like they're leaving themselves open for a lawsuit.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Restructuring doesn't really mean moving people around to make your operation work better. It means getting rid of salaries to protect the excessive bonuses of corporate execs, no matter the cost to the product.

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Some of them are definitely older, and it's a salary dump.

Some aren't.

Draft saved Draft deleted