1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 to consider adding 12th school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 27, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right, Micro... Colorado would be a great add all the way around. But I think the powers that be would see the folly of the State College-to-Boulder road trips in anything but basketball and football.

OK folks, now that we've eliminated Notre Dame because of it being in a Big Ten state already, and Mizzou, West Virginia, Syracuse, Rutgers and Pitt for lack of fan base or TV, who DOES the Big Ten try to add?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not sure who eliminated Mizzou.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't MizzouGrad.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Part of what makes the Big Ten unique is that it is also an academic partnership of research-based schools. Notre Dame has no programs that fit the Big Ten academic profile, and before anyone rolls their eyes, yes, that is important to the conference.

Speaking of eye-rolls ... ::)

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt won't go because the Pitt administration is too stupid and short-sighted to consider it. They were contacted by Swofford during the ACC raid and said, "no thanks, we're happy here. Plus we have a gentleman's agreement with Syracuse and West Virginia."

Pitt would never do something that would give them more exposure and would raise attendance. Shit like that actually makes sense. It's just more feasible to tweak your logo for the 43rd time in 10 years and put together a home schedule that no one in their right mind would consider shelling out good money for.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So that would make Pitt a good fit for the Big Ten...

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think another reshuffling of the deck is imminent. My best guess:

Big 10 (plus two)
    Ohio State, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Missouri, Iowa State

I'll say Penn State leaves, and the league adds two fairly natural fits in Missouri and Iowa State

Then, the Big East can split up into a 12-team, football/basketball league that might look like this:

Penn State
    Pitt
    Louisville
    Syracuse
    West Virginia
    Connecticut
    South Florida
    Rutgers
    Cincinnati
    + Central Florida, Memphis and East Carolina/Marshall

The remaining non-football schools can then form their own 12-team league for basketball (with a Big East revenue share) that would include:

Georgetown
    Marquette
    Villanova
    De Paul
    Providence
    St. John's
    Seton Hall
    Notre Dame (basketball only)
    Xavier
    St. Louis
    St. Joseph's
    Temple

Meanwhile, Colorado and BYU bolt for the Pac 10 to make that a 12-team league.

Suddenly, the Big 12 has three openings that would be filled by Arkansas, TCU and Houston.

When Arkansas bolts, the SEC makes a play for either Miami, Clemson or Georgia Tech. The ACC could then try to take whichever one between Marshall and East Carolina that isn't snapped up by the Big East.

The big state schools in the WAC and Mountain West would then merge into a 14-team league: Utah, Utah State, UNLV, Nevada, San Diego State, Fresno State, Boise State, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, New Mexico State and UTEP, SMU and Hawaii

Then you take some of the leftovers like Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Air Force, San Jose State and merge with what's left of Conference USA with Tulsa, Southern Miss, Tulane, Rice and UAB. That's nine teams for football. Perfect.

Then you've got the Atlantic 10 down to 10 teams for basketball: UMass, George Washington, Fordham, Rhode Island, Dayton, Charlotte, Duquesne, Richmond, St. Bonaventure and La Salle.

Perfect, eh?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow.. my head hurts from deciphering that... and no one wants the MAC schools ... BRilliant!

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Mike Alden, the AD, did.

"I heard those rumors the first time,” Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said of MU joining the Big Ten. “That was nine years ago.

“But we haven’t heard anything from anybody about that. We’re all about the Big 12.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/207067.html

Not that an AD has ever changed his mind, though it's not up to Alden "Alden said any talk of Missouri and the Big Ten probably would come at the level of the system’s Board of Curators — if it comes at all."

Missouri would be a new state, but I don't think Mizzou would be a good fit. They have the border games will Illinois, but besides that don't have many ties to Big Ten.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Slow day at the office?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

1. Can't imagine Penn State leaving the Big 10
    2. Can't imagine the Big 10 wanting Iowa State
    3. Why would Colorado leave the Big 12 for the Pac 10?
    4. If Colorado, Iowa State and Missouri left the Big 12, that could seriously fuck that conference up. You'd almost be as likely to see Arkansas, Texas, A&M, Baylor, TCU and Houston try to restart the SWC.
    5. The ACC trading Miami/Clemson/Ga. Tech for East Carolina or Marshall? Not likely. If anything, they'd make a run at Kentucky or South Carolina.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt would be a great fit for the Fat 10, which is exactly why they wouldnt do it. This said, my own selfish desires want them in the Big East. Where I live currently I can get to Pitt, Georgetown, Rutgers and WVU all within about a three hour drive.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

1. You are totally speculating on that. Evidence?

2. If the Big 10 is going to 12, you've got to take somebody. Missouri and Iowa St. make way more geographic sense than poaching West Virginia, Pitt, etc.

3. Colorado would bolt for the Pac 10 in a heartbeat. It's a far better fit philosophy wise in the Pac 10 than the Big 12. This, by the way, is old news.

4. What I suggested is pretty much restarting the SWC plus Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas.

5. If the ACC lost a team, I highly doubt they would be able to poach Kentucky or South Carolina, at least as long as Mike Slive is cutting $12 million checks every year. East Carolina or Marshall would be by far their best options.

Draft saved Draft deleted