1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 to consider adding 12th school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I've always been curious why Louisville doesn't get more mention as a possible Big 10 twelfth. It's right on the Indiana border, extremely close to Bloomington and within easy driving distance of most other Big 10 towns, is currently playing playing way outside its natural region geographically in the Big East, and is having outstanding success with a huge following in both major revenue sports.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think the whole point of adding a 12th team is that it can break into two divisions and have a championship game. If that happens, just how would you break the conference up? And what would it be called? you can't continue with the big ten-eleven garbage if its 12 teams and big 12 is already taken.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I hereby nominate "The Rust Belt Conference."

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that the divisional names "Atlantic" and "Coastal" are off limits.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They can have Syracuse and their worse than Pitt football program and that whiny bitch Boeheim. Syracuse was one of the original teams selected by the ACC and was going to accept until the Virginia Guv'ner got involved and told the ACC and UVa. "Take Tech or Hoo will mean, 'hoo in the hell took all of our state funding?'"

and to make sure Pitt isnt added I expect Paterno to pull out his cock and bull "eyyyyaaaaaah I'd luv tah see Pitt inna Big Ten but izz outta my hanz..." story out for PSU media day in a couple of weeks. And Paterno torpedoed his own concept for the all Eastern conference by demanding 60-percent of all revenue generated for PSU while the remaining teams fought for the remaining 40-percent. Even back then he was playing the "weze got 376 varsity sports tah fund. We gotta use duh football revenue ta buy uniforms for dah Pick-Up Sticks team."

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm dying to see my cable bill go up over Fat 10 fencing, swimming and golf...which will be most of the programming. Even the biggest Fat 10 hard-on wont sit around and watch that shit.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What about Navy, its a respectable program and is an independent. I don't know about any of the MAC schools, but I just don't see any of them playing Big Ten week in and week out. I think the BT would love to add Louisville, but I don't know if they would jump ship again so soon. Syracause could be a decent program again and they play in a big enough arena. But I think Pitt makes the most sense. JoePa won't be around much longer--besides too much $$ in a two-tiered division.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

With props to Beno Cook. How about about calling it the Russian Army Conference: Tough at Home, Crap on the Road.

I just get so sick of hearling about the mighty Big 10. Oh the Big 10 is so great. Why do we need a playoff? Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams. I just love watching these plowhorse teams get beat in the Rose Bowl every year because other teams actually run and throw outside the hash marks.

This is just me ranting, but every year it happens. With the exception of Ohio State versus Miami, the Big Ten always underperforms in the bowl games.

In my 37 years, the Big 10 has one outright National Championship and one co-championship, and we all know Nebraska would have killed Michigan that season.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Correct . . . and who gives a shit what JoePa thinks?

"Over my dead body"?

It won't be all that long, according to my actuarial tables . . .

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Your what?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A hypothetical JoePa quote . . . sorry, Paterno, you're not an East Indy anymore, and can't expect everyone to roll over (especially Syracuse or Pitt) for your imperial unbalanced home-and-home series demands.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Here's a couple scenarios. We'll assume the 12th team is Pitt for now:

East West

Michigan Illinois
    Michigan State Iowa
    Ohio State Minnesota
    Penn State Indiana
    Pitt Northwestern
    Wisconsin Purdue

or

North South

Minnesota Illinois
    Wisconsin Indiana
    Michigan Purdue
    Michigan State Ohio State
    Iowa Pitt
    Northwestern Penn State

The East/West version really stacks the East from a football perspective. The North/South separate Ohio State and Michigan

Draft saved Draft deleted