1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 30, 2011.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game

A hoax?

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/12/1/2602611/a-conversation-with-the-b1g-seatfiller-hoaxster

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As an aside, the whole "B1G" thing has got to go. Works OK as a logo, but not in regular typefaces. Worst idea since CBS called a TV show "NUMB3RS."

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

They should do that for 80 percent of the games, college and pro, in the entire freaking country. I'd be in favor of dropping attendance figures entirely.

I once had an SID for a D-2 school tell me that he had been told that if he ever announces a basketball attendance of less than 1,000, he'll be fired. We'd have people covering games there tell us there were maybe 200 people in the stands, and the official box would have attendance listed as something like 1,079.

God forbid you have a poor attendance night and be able to be honest about it.

I always thought that would be a fun little story, to send someone to a game and have them literally count heads. Then compare it to the announced attendance. Do it at different schools/different sports, and see how it's explained away. It would be funny to see them claim with a straight face that there were 800 tickets sold but not used for a bad D-II women's basketball game.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

One of the funniest columns I've ever read or edited was a New Year's Day column by our paper's lead columnist. The local CBA team (keep in mind, this was 20 years ago, not today's flourishing CBA) played at 5 p.m. on New Year's Eve. Columnist used the first 47 lines of his column to list each of the 47 people in attendance at the stadium that held more than 8,000.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is when media (local radio/TV seems to be especially bad at this) says "tickets to X game are going for as much as $3000 on Stubhub!" when in reality the market is a small fraction of that. No, some toolbag who's dreaming listed his tickets for $3000, it doesn't mean he's selling them.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Rotate the game between Soldier Field and Lambeau. (depending on who is home that week every year) Arrowhead does it all the time and even has NFL the next day...

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I thought it was common knowledge that it was a hoax.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Soldier Field will never host this game until the fix that embarrassing excuse of a turf.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And put a roof on the joint.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

or rotate it between Lambeau and Ford. or Ford and whatever replaces the Metrodome. Indy got first dibs because Indy does a good job hosting the B1G hoops tourney, but Indy is a hoops town.

11. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Again, Indy is a great, sporting event hosting town. Period. EVERYTHING (bars, restaurants, hotels, shopping, entertainment) are located within blocks of the stadium....which is also a great place to watch a game. It's also geographically equitable to most of the conference. Detroit (and I'm a Michigander) is still a dump. Chicago is great, but it's over priced, & f*cking COLD in December. You're also not walking from your hotel, to a bar, to the stadium & back again. Forget the silly romantic notion wrapped around playing the B1G championship outside....it's REALLY F*CKING COLD most December evenings in the rust belt. If there's an issue with game attendance, it certainly shouldn't be because of the location. At least from the perspective of someone who actually bought tickets to the game.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The National media will still torch Indy to shreds during Super Bowl week because they're going to be bored (no free golf and from what I hear, the strip clubs in Indy are weak) and they're going to have written all the features about the two teams before Super Bowl week and as a result, they'll fall back on the laziest column device: ripping a city.

Draft saved Draft deleted