1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game

Clemson and Virginia Tech meeting in North Carolina at least gives the ACC a chance. Both schools travel relatively well, and it's only a few hours away.

Really, these games should be played at the better team's home field if you really want a crowd.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Which pays better?

Watching the game as a fan for this company or busting your ass stringing the game?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Sold out last year, sold out this year. Not coincidentally, both games were held in Charlotte.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nice.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Getting paid to watch a rematch of the most exciting game of the year seems like a good deal to me. My guess is these tickets were owned by a coalition of Omaha ticket and travel agencies.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Darren Rovell sent out a tweet the other day saying tickets average $350 for last year's SECC and this year it was hovering around $125.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a pretty common trick of "selling" large chunks of tickets to a re-seller, and sometimes even one that is just a subsidiary of the team itself. I think it was the Cubs that were caught doing this. But that's a big feature of why StubHub is the "official" re-seller for a lot of teams, they get this kind of treatment.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that re-sellers "bought" many of the tickets from the B10 in this manner. If they declared it a sellout way back when, why is even StubHub selling tickets for $7, as another blog (I think NYT) wrote yesterday?

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I hope someone from AP has the common sense not to include an attendance figure in its agate. Or include a notation. I think it would be nice to see . . . Att.: 61,785-f. (f—fraudulent)

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Watching.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Current StubHub rates for Big Ten championship:

http://www.stubhub.com/big-ten-championship-football-tickets/2011-big-ten-championship-football-12-3-2011-1703620/

Range from $12-200. 3,600 tickets available.

By the way, these count as sold tickets. If the Big Ten got full price for them -- success!

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The Texas-Plus-9 conference doesn't have a championship game. Bedlam is just the last regular-season contest.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

The worst part is, I'd have bought better tix, if allowed / available. My seats are fine (almost identical to my Colts seats), but would have spent some extra cash to get down a deck lower. Had no option, at the time.

The whole thing just kind of smells. Whether blocks were held for big wholesalers....or in anticipation of gouging fans from a team that didn't make it, but would have traveled better (tOSU, Michigan)...the B1G (or, the Indy Convention Cntr, who actually is running the event) certainly seems to have screwed the pooch on this one. Don't believe it had to be this way.

Draft saved Draft deleted