1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Re: Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game

I seem to remember a few Big 12 championship games in Kansas City where you could get tickets for $25 an hour before kickoff in the lots outside Arrowhead. I don't know about the SEC, but this is not so much a reflection on the Big Ten, but on conference championship games as a whole, as Playthrough pointed out.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Pac-12 system of playing the game at the home of one of the participants. Is a Wisconsin fan going to drive to Indy, then make the trip to the Rose Bowl if they make it? Seems to be an either/or proposition these days, and it sounds like more and more fans are willing to skip the conference championship game and bet on a bowl game.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SEC Championship could be a soft ticket. LSU fans have little incentive to go, and UGa fans are convinced their team is doomed.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Put it at Lambeau every year and there will never be an open seat.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU fans always travel well to see a good team. Plus, the BCS championship game is in the Superdome. Not a lot of travel costs to get to that one. Throw in the fact that if it's an LSU-Alabama title game, to get a ticket you'll have to offer up not only a first-born son, but rights to make the second, and it's a lot more accessible game for many fans than the next one will be.
    In some ways, this is almost like LSU's bowl game.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I highly doubt that. Ok, maybe once for the curiosity factor. But unless Wisco is playing, there is no guarantee there.

Fans are recognizing these "title games" for what they are -- TV money grabs. They're useless.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't have a big problem with Indianapolis -- it's set up well to spend three or four days there -- but Chicago is the only place this game should be. Just by sheer numbers you'd have no trouble packing the place. There aren't enough people and corporations in Indianapolis, or anywhere else in Big Ten country, to buy tickets without a rooting interest.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Are any of the conference title games meaningful this year?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Only from a train wreck standpoint.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Something about this just isn't adding up for me.

As a disclaimer, I'm attending & really looking forward to it. Also, I'm a huge fan of having it in Indy. It's a central location for the conference & downtown Indy is terrific. So much (food & bar wise) is located in close (& safe) walking distance of the stadium, the convention center (where most of the related "events" are taking place) is connected to the stadium & there's plenty to do downtown (NCAA hall of champions, etc) during the day on Saturday. Contrary to some of the previous posts, I think Indy is the PERFECT place to hold the game.

When the tickets went on sale (July, I think), the demand seemed very high. I was one of the dorks who was on Ticketmaster, hitting refresh, as soon as they went on sale. The game showed as "sold out".....and stories were run stating it was sold out....within an hour of tickets going on sale. I had friends try to buy tickets after that date...still showed "sold out", with the exception of the blocks being held for the two schools. Now they're having to pay folks to fill the stadium? WTF am I missing? Did they have blocks held for sponsors? SOMEthing doesn't sound right....

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've only been to Indy once (for the Final Four in 2006) and I had a great time. Layman's right. Downtown Indy is packed with good bars and restaurants and is butt-close to the stadium.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

C-USA. Houston doesn't get a BCS bowl bid without winning.

And honestly, attendance at the Big 12 championship game will still probably look like the US Festival compared to any of the ACC title games without Florida State playing in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted