1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

To save your eyes: it's a blanket ad requesting seat fillers. While not mentioned by name, the B1G Championship is the only event in Indianapolis on Saturday night involving a Lucas Oil Field and fans showing up in green and red clothing. The pay: $75 for the event. (The link is still live, but in case it's yanked, hello screenshot.)

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/11/30/2600347/someone-is-paying-people-to-fill-seats-at-a-large-athletic-event-in

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Big 10 Paying $75 For Seat Fillers to Watch Title Game

A non-denial denial.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/big-ten-refutes-needing-seat-fillers-for-championship/

That's technically correct. The Big Ten is paying a marketing firm to pay fans to go to the game.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Just move it to Lambeau, why is this game even indoors to begin with?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute - I thought that these conference title games were a big gold mine for these conferences and a league like the Big 10, with all those huge fan bases, would make trillions each year off of it for the member schools to split.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right. Or the Indianapolis Convention/Visitors Assoc. or Sports Corp. could be involved somehow. It was a pretty good coup for Indy to beat out Chicago and other towns for this, and I'm sure there was some kind of guarantee of butts in seats to make it look good for TV. Unfortunately for them, Nebraska didn't make it or else this might be a moot issue.

DB, Lambeau sounds good in theory but no way that's happening in the middle of a Packers season.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is absolutely hilarious and serves 'em all right, but I am surprised that Wisconsin fans are traveling so poorly. What is it, a five-hour trip from Madison, closer from Milwaukee?

Maybe they're saving up for the Rose Bowl trip.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sparty was well represented at the Cap One Bowl too, at least before halftime.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is what they get for picking a shithole like Indianapolis to host the game. Play the damn thing in Chicago.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The big money comes from the extra tv revenue, anyway.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good to see a city other than Jacksonville catching heat. How bad will the national media hammer Indy during Super Bowl week?

It's not like they're trying to fill up the Big House. Football capacity is 63,000.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indy has hosted a few Final Fours without a hitch and has this year's Super Bowl, ya know. I'm biased here but I think it's a great big-event town, at least for one without an ocean or Bourbon Street.

The real angle is that these championship games aren't a gravy train anymore -- and that Michigan State is about fifth on the list of Big Ten teams you'd want to see in this game if you're trying to sell it. Wisconsin is a bit of a surprise to not be bringing more folks, but they've had a lot to travel for in recent years, and yeah some fans are probably holding out for the Rose Bowl this year.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Is this leading or legendary? Couldn't happen to a better buch of elitists. They have a network that no one watches and now a championship game no one attends.

Ohh, and I liked Indianapolis the two times I was there. Good thing about Indy is its easily accessible with 65 heading north to Chicago and 70 cutting through the city. That said, yeah, you can't play this game in a dome when you have legendary stadiums like Lambeau and whatever that thing is they built where Soldier Field used to be in your geographic footprint. Honestly, the best location geographically for this game will never host it: South Bend.

Draft saved Draft deleted