1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible verses on guns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

WWJS (Who would Jesus shoot?)

2. This is about 1/1000th as bad as the story last year about Rummy distributing Iraq War policy memos with New Testament Bible verses plastered on the front.

3. God is good. Or ... Doog si dog

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In a former military life, I was an armorer. When I was enlisted, one of my jobs was to maintain the unit's weapons and train our soldiers on how to effectively employ them.

I used Trijicon optics, and we have some of their optics in our arms room now, but I never saw any scripture on them. Since this story broke, I haven't been at work, and I won't be in the office tomorrow. But, as soon as I get back to the office, I'll definitely check them.

From what I gather about the company since reading this story earlier today, this is not something new the company has done (it has been going on for years), which leads me to believe Army leadership most likely doesn't know about this. Soldiers, on the other hand, have apparently known about this for quite some time. There are several threads on message boards, blogs and a couple of YouTube videos (product reviews) that mention them.

While we have more important things to deal with, I think the Army will move pretty quickly to correct the issue. That doesn't mean they'll throw those already fielded in the trash, for sure. Those things aren't cheap. I believe the Army will correct or void the contract pretty quickly.

5. three_bags_full

Just to clarify, these Bible verses are not inscribed on the weapons, but on the optical sighting devices that are attached to the weapons.

They are not physically part of the weapon and can be removed by loosening a couple of screws.

6. three_bags_full

Trijicon will no longer put the religious references on optics issued to the DOD.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/21/rifles.bibles/index.html?hpt=T2

7. You have to be pretty stupid to risk flushing a multi-million dollar government contract down the toilet because you insist on (subversively) inscribing bible scriptures on your equipment. I didn't realize the economy in metro Detroit was doing so well.

Fucking idiots.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you've ever stood a watch, you'll have Bible versus written on all kinds of stuff. Thank God for Sharpies.
    Just sayin.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big deal. George Patton got a chaplain to pray for good weather to bomb the crap out of the Germans. Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee both thought God was on their side. And every suicide bomber has been so convinced God was on his side that he or she have taken themselves and thousands out with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted