1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bibi Kicking Ass in Speech to Congress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He could have skipped Ireland at the very least if he wanted to. That basically was a vacation/photo op.

Even the London trip is just a tag on to the trip for the G8.

I get why you'd add a couple of additional stops as long as you are going. But, when a tornado wipes out an American City, it's at least worth considering an alteration to your schedule and it should be no surprise that some are raising questions about his priorities.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yes, yes, that's nice. I'm very sorry people treated Bush so mean.

I didn't give a crap that Bush spent Katrina eating cake with McCain or getting a new guitar. He could've spent the week at the ranch doing beer bongs for all I care. The executive doesn't have to have his boots on the ground. What was the issue was how piss-poor the official response to the disaster was- a disaster, let us remind ourselves, you could see coming a mile away. There's nothing wrong with delegating- except Bush delegated to a lazy, unqualified twink who spent his disgraceful days on the scene whining on e-mail about how difficult his job was.

I swear, this silliness is brought up every time some natural disaster hits the US. Nashville flooding? Obama's Katrina. Ice in Kentucky? Obama's Katrina. And on and on. Except, every time....the locals, the people receiving water and blankets from the feds, the city councils, the street-corner businesses...all have nothing but thanks to FEMA and others. It's almost as if Obama is pretty good at delegating. Which is kind of the point.

If the federal response to the tornadoes is lousy and mis-managed, I'll say Obama should've had a closer eye to the scene. Until that moment, save your Bush-era butthurt and instead blame your guy for not doing his job better in the first place.

Some people say! Some people say! Some people say!

3. king cranium maximus IV

Oh, and by the way, meanwhile....Eric Cantor's going around saying that spending to help alleviate pain and suffering in Joplin should only be allowed if it is paid for by spending cuts to whatever Republican bogeyman's on their minds this week. Meanwhile, Obama had a beer and met the Queen.

It should be no surprise that some are raising questions about Republican outrage priorities.

4. YankeeFan

FEMA has been criticized in some cases.

FEMA's role also changed after Katrina.

I swear, some of you guys seem so bitter. You think we all hate Obama and believe he was born in Kenya.

We disagree with him politically. I'd love to have a pint with him in Monygall someday.

You guys are the one who are unhinged and hate George W. Bush. And you can't get over it. The best/worst part is that you also think America is a land of fools for twice electing such a dummy to the office of President.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jopilin's not a city. It's a town. In the South. The president has nothing to gain by altering his plans for an emergency visit.

6. king cranium maximus IV

Ahem:

Didn't care for Bush, but in this case, didn't care about Bush as long as the official response was good. Or decent. Or even mediocre. And it wasn't a galaxy close to that, even.

These continuing attempts to label every natural disaster that occurs in this country as Obama's Katrina(TM) is equal parts projection and concern trolling and 100% baloney. Just stop.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Besides which, as soon as he shows up, you're all complaining about how he's taking precious resources away from the relief effort.

8. YankeeFan

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

But to act like it's unfair to question the decision is what I don't get. BYH criticizes every move Joe Girardi or Mike Scioscia makes. But you can't second guess the president?

9. king cranium maximus IV

You can second guess the president. By all means, do.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

A tornado wipes out an entire town (there, not a city) and the President does not head home. I would say that is a mistake on his part. Bush would have WANTED to head to Joplin. Obama probably doesn't want to get dust on his shoes. If you were a resident of Joplin right now, trying to deal with the loss of your home or loved one and realizing your life is in total ruins, seeing the president sipping on $1,000 a bottle wine with the Queen probably did not make you feel very good or give you any confidence that he actually gives a shit. Well, he obviously doesn't.

11. king cranium maximus IV

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.